Re-amping a Bass Instrument From Reason or a VSTi????

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Bigsby
alignin' 24-trk

Re-amping a Bass Instrument From Reason or a VSTi????

Post by Bigsby » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:21 pm

Has anybody ever sent a bass instrument, or combination of instruments out of Reason to a bass guitar amp, then miked it up?

I'm trying to figure out if a sample would be best, or maybe a very simple subtractor patch?

It's for a rock song with synth pop flavorings, so I'm looking for a sound that isn't necessarily just like a bass guitar, but isn't overly "electronic" sounding either.

Also I could import my midi track into Tracktion, and run it through a VSTi if anybody has a suggestion for a freeware instrument they know would sound good.

It seems like somthing that would sound good in a mix directly, wouldn't sound as good through a bass amp. Whatever is going into the amp should be more like a line level out of a bass guitar or a bass synth.

Any Reason patches, freeware VST suggestions or advice otherwise would be appreciated.

trevord
gettin' sounds

Re: Re-amping a Bass Instrument From Reason or a VSTi????

Post by trevord » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:31 pm

dont know anything about external effects with reason
but a nice percussive organ patch is always a nice alternate bass
(just ask k.m. :) )

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:50 pm

I have sent a few Reason patches and other VST instruments out into guitar amps, pedals and a few other random speakers. Sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn't. Even when it does sound good it doesn't always work for the song. Anyway, you might as well try it. I'm not sure what your after soundwise but reamping something from reason through a guitar amp sounds pretty much like running a hardware synth through a guitar amp. Even if I heard the track your working on I don't know what you consider good or what exactly you like soundwise so your best off just experimenting and seeing what works.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:36 pm

this was the first thing I did when I built my NY Dave reamp. I have to say that the reason stuff sounded a lot better through my ampeg head (an old V-2 tube guitar head)

I tried some of the EP patches in the NN-XT or whatever its called.

The thing to do to make reason sound decent is to rewire it into another program - not using the mixer is night and day. Try that first - if its still not happening try reamping the rewired signal. Using the mixer in reason makes reason sound like a large heap of trash.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!