new sound card

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
kristopher612
gettin' sounds

new sound card

Post by kristopher612 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:50 am

okay, i'm looking into getting a new soundcard for a comp i'll be buying soon. i also want to stay within my price range at the same time. the two i'm looking at right now are the terratec ews88 and the echo gina 24. the terratec has 2digital/8analog I/O, with 24/96 maximum res. the echo has 2 analogI/8 analog O, with 24/96. does anyone have experience with these cards? i mean more sounds like it would be better, but the terratec is only $50 more for an extra 6ins...that sounds kinda shady, but im not sure. i just want to make sure i get the most in the bang vs. buck dept. and if anyone knows a better card in the 400-ish range, let me know. thanks for the help
kris

shantishanti
audio school

Re: new sound card

Post by shantishanti » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:36 pm

i'm sorry to say that i dont have any feedback for you on these products

however, i am also in the soundcard market and am curious how you went about narrowing down to these two?

also, what comp are you getting?

and

your post says that both are 2/8, and then later that terratec has 6 more - does that mean the terratec is actually 8/8?

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:14 pm

I think that because terratec has always been pretty much just a consumer level/stereo gamer sound card the prices are low to get guys like you to try them out. This is their first jump into pro audio, if it goes well I would expect a price jump. They look intriguing enough to me and the specs aint bad. As far as the echo, they are really a good product but Ive heard they are flaky with an athlonwww.everybodysx.com

Frybyte
audio school

Post by Frybyte » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:31 pm

I realize that this is neither of your choices but I'd check out a c-port it's got the 2 digital and 81/0s 24/96 and it's about the price you mention. I got mine because a former BBC engineer listened to my list of needs/desires and recommended it. I've had it for a couple of years and I'm more of a acoustic musician and not a gear guy at all so it took some work to make everything smooth but now it's worked great for a large number of situations/groups/setups and with a large number of software systems [including LINUX fer amazing sake].
j
May you receive more peace than you deserve
And more creativity than you can contain

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:36 pm

thanks for the info on the c-port. it may be what im going to go with. once i can afford these things again...bills...

xstatic
audio school graduate

Post by xstatic » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:37 am

You can get used MOTU 2408 mk2's for around $400. Better sounding converters, and 8 analog I/O plus 24 channels ADAT optical or Tascam digital, and s/pdif. Pretty solid performer. Expandable in the future, or can be used as outboard AD/DA without the CPU even. Best bang for the buck as far as I am concerned.

silversound
takin' a dinner break

Post by silversound » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:57 pm

Try searching the forum!!!!!!
This subject has been disscussed alot.
pssst! hey pssst! Want some free software man? I'll throw it in if you buy my hardware.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:48 pm

this is the computer part, isnt that the point.