828 problems

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

828 problems

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:15 am

hey guys
my 828 just decided to take a shit on me. Heres the symptoms

When Playing any sort of audio through it, the audio will freeze and then play in short busts. Even Ituens. And when it happens the time on the song will freeze too. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. Still nothing. I tried to use it on my girlfriends lap top and still nothing. Its only 2 years old, its seems kinda young for something like this to happen. I think it the firewire port on it, but I can't be sure. Does anybody know what to do fix it.

Thanks
Justin

62junior
gettin' sounds

Re: 828 problems

Post by 62junior » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:20 pm

What software are you using? Did you trash your MotuFirewire prefs? What's your system.

I just bought an 828 off E-Bay and haven't been able to get it to work yet, problems are very similar to the ones you describe.

K.S.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:33 pm

yeah, I trashed all my prefs and everything. I am pretty sure that its a hardware thing cause now I have tried on three macs. And it has the same symptoms on three macs. Here are my specs...

G4 867
768 Mb of RAM
DP 4
2 hard drive.

The other ones I used was an Ibook (G3 800 MHz, 612 mb of RAM) and a powerbook (500 MHZ, unknown ram) I wonder if there is anybody who repairs them...

Andrew Weatherhead
audio school graduate

Post by Andrew Weatherhead » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:59 am

What software are you using?

I am using an 828 with Sonar 2.0 on a Windows XP system. I think I had similar problems, and when I changed the I/O Buffer Size, most of the problems seemed to disappear. I don't know if this will fix your problem, but its worth a try.

-Andrew

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:25 pm

I use digital Performer, but I will try that its seems like that might have something to do with it. Except that it does it on different computers with different programs. Even itunes (mac mp3 player) wont work through it. Which it usually does, so I almost 1000% sure that its hardware. I've emailed MOTU, and asked if they knew anybody that did MOTU audio repair. and they have not got back to me (not surprising)...whatever. Hopefully something happens. :(

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:05 am

We had one of those that got way to hot.
Ever since then, it couldn't play right.

STABrian
audio school

Post by STABrian » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:42 pm

My 828 (actually borrowed from my boss) started smoking out the firewire port. I called MOTU and they stood by their 3 month warranty, but offered to fix mine (or replace if necessary) it for $49.99. Apparently this is their flat rate, anything goes repair price. At first I was shocked about a 3 month warranty, but I'd gladly take a $49.99, no questions asked, good as new, repair policy over a longer warranty and a more expensive repair.

My point...the firewire port on mine went out. It could be the same with yours. Try a shorter cable or just another cable and see if that helps.

-Brian