Audio Interface for Notebook running Win XP

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Audio Interface for Notebook running Win XP

Post by ckeene » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:00 pm

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it in a search, so here goes:

I have a notebook (P4 2.4gHz, 40 gig, 512 MB) and I want to get a multitrack interface for it. I prefer to get an 8 input unit.

I'm thinking about the Layla 24 with the PCMCIA adapter, but I'd be amenable to other suggestions. I believe there are some newer boxes that can connect via Firewire, which I have.

Thanks in advance.

-ck

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Re: Audio Interface for Notebook running Win XP

Post by Everybody's X » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:20 pm

I have been eyeing the firewire equipped motu, but Im running an athlon laptop and the layla is supposed to be flaky with AMD. The motu has killer sound quality, 8 xlr ins w/phantom power for all 8 of them looks pretty good but it is around $1200 on musicians friend so the layla is alot cheaper. I have a friend running the layla and he loves it but I like the firewire option and the phantom power.www.everybodysx.com

mikedaul
audio school graduate

Post by mikedaul » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:22 pm

I really like echo's stuff (I've got a layla24). RME makes a pcmcia adapter for their stuff. As for firewire, the motu 828mk2 looks like a good deal. That new tascam all-in-one box (kind of like a cheaper digi 002) looks pretty neat. Yamaha has a similar unit on the way as well.

Here's what audiomidi sells:

http://www.audiomidi.com/hardware/audio_pcmcia.cfm
http://www.audiomidi.com/hardware/audio_firewire.cfm

Hope this is helpful...

lilcapn
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lilcapn » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:41 am

i have a laptop running xp, and my experience with the Presonus Firestation has been good so far!

spleenless
studio intern

Post by spleenless » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:38 pm

RME! They are the way to go. I"ve never had an issue with my multiface card. Stable as can be. 8in/out, adat, sdif, midi... PLus they are working on a new driver that will allow internal routing which would enable you to route sound through several applications. A new box out came out recently that has 8 built in preamps, that are supposed to sound very clear.
RME's stuff is pricy but only a tad more then Motu and stabler. They're website is sparce so don't get turned off by it.
cheers,jc