I Need software/hardware advise.

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
RMarschall
audio school

I Need software/hardware advise.

Post by RMarschall » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:59 pm

Just got a 1.25 Powerbook G4 and need to make decision on what software and hardware to run. What I?m looking at now:
1. Pro-Tools w/ Digi 002
2. Logic Platinum 6 w/ Tascam FW-1884
The price looks to be about the same just over $2000.
I?ve used Pro-Tools never used Logic. Mostly used Vegas, SAW pro (remember that one). New convert to Mac (love it. never go back). Reviews? Ideas? Anyone who hates either system? Is Logic?s clock any better than Pro-Tools? Other issues I don?t know about? Other systems I should look into?
Thanks

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: I Need software/hardware advise.

Post by trashy » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:48 pm

I have Logic and I LOVE it.

I just wanted to say that becuase you're about to get alot of people telling you all about ProTools. They're a vocal bunch, and it's not a bad program. But I think Logic has a future in the mac platform that ProTools won't be able to match. Plus, it's a great program.

Are you using X or 9?

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Post by pandafresh » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:51 pm

well, like everyone always likes to say. it depends on what you plan to do with it. if your just going to record.. then i would vote for PT.. cause its a standard, and you can take it in and out of "pro" studios, as/if needed. plus i think its easy to use. if you actualy plan to make music.. [maybe some synths, some processing]
logic would be better, for its whole vsti thing going for it.. plus it has the best tape delay plug-in out there imo. logic is really powerfully, but its always been to complicated for me.. as i like to say "its just not logical". but its creative ends are probly more endless then protools. but protools is fast and easy. lots of people use, and or, know how to use it.. witch is good for when one needs help.

i myself took the split down the middle and use digital performer.. now in 10, and now supporting AU.. now if the vstwrapper could just get to 10.. but thats off the subject..

i dont think you'd really "lose" with way.. you could probly download demos of each and try them, thats what i did to land on digital performer.. it just clicked..

-trevor

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:27 pm

I'm a user of Ableton Live which can be plugged into PT6 thanks to ReWire. So it's been tempting to go Pro-Tools because of that and also because I also run a PC as well.

But, honestly, I think DP4 is a better program. It's straight forward enough, yet has way more in terms of MIDI. It's modular like Logic, but the interface seems a lot cleaner. If I was gonna stay on OSX soley, I'de give it a good gander. If you buy any or the MOTU interfaces, you'll also get a copy of Audio Desk which is the harddisc recording side of DP.

Logic's great strength is it's flexability. It's also a fairly lean and since it's owned by Apple, gets all the updates first, including OS and CPU optimisation. If your working on a big project and need every resource, Logic is the premier platform.

If it makes you feel anybetter, I'm kinda stuck on platform choice too!
I got my apple laptop 'cus no one makes a better portable. But now I'm hooke don OSX! WinXP feels silly, even if the machine it's on is twice as fast.
boobs are life's fountain

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:37 pm

ottokbre, you can also hook Live up to Logic using Rewire, it isn't just a Pro Tools thing.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:43 pm

cool, thanks Wes.
boobs are life's fountain

friendlybunny
pushin' record

Post by friendlybunny » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:11 pm

Logic or protools? I use them (and like them) both. If you are going to be using a lot of softsynths or recording midi info, i would go with Logic. The midi recording, and softsynth implementation makes much more sense to me in Logic. Also... if you are on a tight budget, I think Logic will be cheaper in the long run. There are a lot of free (or cheap) audio unit plugins that are really cool, and not many free/cheap RTAS plugins.

If you are used to "traditional" recording, i would go with Protools. It is quick and easy to figure out.

Good luck, i think you can't go wrong.

sendr
audio school graduate

Post by sendr » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:26 pm

Nobody has mentioned Cubase, so I guess I have to. And I like it. It's easy to get along with, unlike my experience with Logic. And in the mixer window there is an 'e' or something next to each fader which opens a track-everything window with an eq-curve you can draw, all the channel inserts, etc., kinda like on the Mackie d8b. And you can run it on both mac and pc if you haven't chosen a platform. okay.
--todd

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:05 pm

I like both ProTools and DP3 (now 4), and slightly prefer ProTools for editing speed, but usually end up doing most of my work on DP3 because its not dependant on any specific hardware and I like to be able to work anywhere. I do a lot of multichannel editing and mixing (typically 24 channel classical music, with edits about every 5-15 seconds (damn perfectionists!)). ProTools is always best for the really big pieces.

In my other role, as plugin programmer, I've been using Cubase SX, Nuendo, Logic and Live. Does anyone else find the OS X stuff from Steinberg a little slow? Cubase 5 on OS 9 seemed so much faster. I like Logic best out of this group, just for speed sake, its user interface has a bit of a learning curve, but fine once you dig into the manual enough.

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:11 pm

pandafresh wrote:i myself took the split down the middle and use digital performer.. now in 10, and now supporting AU.. now if the vstwrapper could just get to 10.. but thats off the subject..
okay - off the topic - but totally relevant. fxpansion has a vst-au adapter for os x. works just dandy with dp4.1 and logic

http://www.fxpansion.com/products_auadapter.html

RMarschall
audio school

Post by RMarschall » Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:32 pm

Thanks! This has been a tremendous help. It is always good to get some differing viewpoints.

crimsonking
alignin' 24-trk

Post by crimsonking » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:39 pm

I'm G4 OS9 Protools Le 5.2. I also use Reason, (refuse enabled, look it up or e-mail me) the Native Instruments Kontakt sampler, Oxygen 8 midi trigger keyboard, and a whole lot of sundry plugins. Does it work? Hell, Yeah! Why? Because I chose them! I'll be willing to bet bottom dollar that ANY engineer worth his salt will find a working method within the parameters of the appropriate gear he/she owns. It's really a question of: you get what you pay for/time spent learning the various curves. Every system has it's benefits. Find out what your bottom line price range is (don't forget monitors, mixing in cans for 6 months alone will drive you mad and compromise yr recordings) and max out your computer's CPU speed and RAM. Other than that, just dive in. we're here to help (as well as paid and liscenced tech support) so don't worry. If Tape Op can tell you anything, it's GO FOR IT.

Casey

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:32 pm

$2000?

If you buy an 002 Rack for about $1300, the software is included. I recently switched from Cubase to PT, and appreciated the economy. I had a Motu 896 (nice unit) which went for $1200, and Cubase SX, which goes for 6 or 7 hundred bucks.

Financially, Pro Tools is a winner--

PC

jayrope
pushin' record

Post by jayrope » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:27 pm

i'd recommend logic 6 and a rme hammerfall multiface interface with additional pcmcia or pci bus card, depending on your computer.
i love logic, though for pure audio recording, i still like pro tools better for its absolutely clear interface. cubase sounds fine, but the interface looks like a game interface to me. however, just a matter of taste.
all different software has diefferent specialities. an overall winner i think, which gives you greaytest flexibility, is logic 6.

rme hammerfall cards have won endless awards
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/multifa.htm
but besides that i can only teel you that we compared the hammerfall multiface word-synced to a nanosync with a motu 828mk1(no word clock) and the moto 2408 mk2 (with word clock) before, and it turned out that rme provided greates clarity, depth, definition of all three cards.
and: the rme has one of the smallest asio driver latency around.

still the 828 and 2408 sound good btw. i use a 828 currently and i am content as long as i don't have a direct comparison to the rme. the metric halo sure would interest me aswell.

janek

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:32 pm

Check out Motu's web site-

Looks like they came out with a cool new 896 for the same price--

PC