Sound Cards and A/D converters

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
LEE TYLER
audio school graduate

Re: Sound Cards and A/D converters

Post by LEE TYLER » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:16 pm

I have had the Delta Omni Studio for a few weeks and I am VERY pleased with the clarity and the nice interface.... for MY needs, anyway. The M-audio folks and the dudes at Audio-midi.com are first class. I, however, am simply amazed at the amount of discontent I hear from many on the net about how "crapola" there tech support is. I have been on the phone with both companies multiple times prior to purchase and for a few interim inquiries, and all involved were courteous, knowledgable, and wanting to assist. It makes me wonder just exactly what the hell is going on with the consuming public where the help is there, but they must "speak" a different language. (or just being impatient, immature, effing idjuts). Cheers...it ain't that bad. ---Lee

jayrope
pushin' record

Post by jayrope » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:20 pm

hey hey lee, you're not endorsing them are you? :-) jj

LEE TYLER
audio school graduate

Post by LEE TYLER » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:25 pm

jayrope wrote:hey hey lee, you're not endorsing them are you? :-) jj
Hey Jay, I know this is my first post in this neighborhood. Hell, no Spamerooski's here, LOL. Good equipment and service should be mentioned. I despise el-Spamola. :) Sorry if I came across that way. ---Lee

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:41 pm

LEE TYLER wrote:I have had the Delta Omni Studio for a few weeks and I am VERY pleased with the clarity and the nice interface.... for MY needs, anyway. The M-audio folks and the dudes at Audio-midi.com are first class. I, however, am simply amazed at the amount of discontent I hear from many on the net about how "crapola" there tech support is. I have been on the phone with both companies multiple times prior to purchase and for a few interim inquiries, and all involved were courteous, knowledgable, and wanting to assist. It makes me wonder just exactly what the hell is going on with the consuming public where the help is there, but they must "speak" a different language. (or just being impatient, immature, effing idjuts). Cheers...it ain't that bad. ---Lee
well i think it just depends who you get on the phone. i had all sorts of problems with my delta 1010 awhile back which involved me calling them three times. the first guy didn't seem the least bit interested in helping me and actually made it sound like my entire computer was completely fucked. great. the second guy was more helpful but didn't seem to really know what was up and also didn't seem to actually be listening to what i was saying..like he'd give me answers to problems other than the ones i was having. the last guy i spoke with was a peach. super nice, totally helpful patient as a saint. we got cut off at some point and he called me right back. and solved the problem.

i had a similar experience with maxtor...had to speak with a couple of jokers before actually getting someone who both knows what they're doing AND wants to help ya.....

LEE TYLER
audio school graduate

Post by LEE TYLER » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:47 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
LEE TYLER wrote:I have had the Delta Omni Studio for a few weeks and I am VERY pleased with the clarity and the nice interface.... for MY needs, anyway. The M-audio folks and the dudes at Audio-midi.com are first class. I, however, am simply amazed at the amount of discontent I hear from many on the net about how "crapola" there tech support is. I have been on the phone with both companies multiple times prior to purchase and for a few interim inquiries, and all involved were courteous, knowledgable, and wanting to assist. It makes me wonder just exactly what the hell is going on with the consuming public where the help is there, but they must "speak" a different language. (or just being impatient, immature, effing idjuts). Cheers...it ain't that bad. ---Lee
well i think it just depends who you get on the phone. i had all sorts of problems with my delta 1010 awhile back which involved me calling them three times. the first guy didn't seem the least bit interested in helping me and actually made it sound like my entire computer was completely fucked. great. the second guy was more helpful but didn't seem to really know what was up and also didn't seem to actually be listening to what i was saying..like he'd give me answers to problems other than the ones i was having. the last guy i spoke with was a peach. super nice, totally helpful patient as a saint. we got cut off at some point and he called me right back. and solved the problem.

i had a similar experience with maxtor...had to speak with a couple of jokers before actually getting someone who both knows what they're doing AND wants to help ya.....
I guess I have been REAL lucky in my correspondance. When I usually find an individual that know their prospective shite, their name gets permanently put in my cranial database. And so it goes... ---Lee

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:56 pm

apogee, RME or MOTU are all good options for soundcards. As for monitors I don't hear them mentioned much but I have a pair of Yorkville YSM1p and I think they are great. They can usually be had for around $400, they are powered so you don't have to get a power amp and in all my experience I think they have a nice frequency response, sound good and most importantly the mixes I have done on them have usually translated really well. Regardless, any set of monitors is gonna have a learning curve per say and really unless your using something really crappy (I don't mean cheap, I mean crappy like the Alesis monitors or new Yamaha ones) its more a matter of treating your room and learning there sound ie listening to albums your familiar with on your monitors and taking note of how they sound. In addition its a good idea to reference your mixes to audio cds your familiar with anyway, it will help you improve your mix and ensure they translate well to other systems.