External Hard Drive froze my Windows 2000!

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
jasonfarbman
audio school graduate

External Hard Drive froze my Windows 2000!

Post by jasonfarbman » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:36 pm

Hey..

I just recently decided to chuck XP in favor of Windows 2000, but every time I turn on my Acom USB 2.0 Hard Drive, the system grinds to a halt, and won't reboot until I turn it off. I checked the website, and there aren't any drivers or anything for Win2K... Any suggestions?

Thanks,
J

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: External Hard Drive froze my Windows 2000!

Post by kcrusher » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:43 am

Why did you go back to Win2k?

Not quite understanding that.

I don't believe this will work, as Win2k has no support for USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 spec came well after development for Win2k ended....

jasonfarbman
audio school graduate

Post by jasonfarbman » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:15 pm

I'd read, on this board among places, that Win2K was much better than XP because it used less resources - less bells and whistles, all that... I wound up having to reinstall the OS for another reason, and it fixed the problem.. otherwise, I haven't found too much to complain about...

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:01 am

Don't believe everything you read. While there IS some truth in 'they' say, most of the bells and whistles can be turned off and, personally, I think WinXP is more stable an generally just easier to deal with than Win2K - not to mention the updated support it has for newer devices, as you found out.

Larsen
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Larsen » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:51 pm

. I wound up having to reinstall the OS for another reason, and it fixed the problem.. otherwise, I haven't found too much to complain about...

So, you re-installed Windows 2000 and the USB Hard Drive works?

Or, did you go back to XP? I worked on 2K for a long time and found it pretty darn stable. However nobody seems to make drivers for it, and it just wound up being a pain in the neck getting new software.
XP seems to be just as stable though. At the risk of turning this thread into a XP vs. 2K debate, I lean towards XP. Not because it's more stable, just for driver/hardware support. It's like everyone has abandoned 2K in that department.

Regards,
j