Delta Omni Studio volume imbalance @ lowest threshold volume

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
LEE TYLER
audio school graduate

Delta Omni Studio volume imbalance @ lowest threshold volume

Post by LEE TYLER » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:35 pm

On my new Delta Omni Studio, there seems to be a favoring of the right side audio---ONLY...when the volume is very, very low. When I lower the volume down to threshold hearing, the right side DEFINATELY sounds louder, but seems to even out with progressive increase in gain adjustments. This is noted as well using the monitor outs with headphones. Can anyone out there confirm that this is an expected occurance with this package? Thanks in advance. ---Lee

brew
pushin' record

Re: Delta Omni Studio volume imbalance @ lowest threshold vo

Post by brew » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:13 am

i notice this effect mostly on consumer volume pots...the only thing i can think of is that it has to do with the wiper on the dual-resistive pot not completely making contact with both elements of the resistor at the extreme position. standard resistors aren't precision components. don't worry about it, because as you raise the volume it clears up. why would you need to listen that low anyway?

LEE TYLER
audio school graduate

Post by LEE TYLER » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:06 pm

brew wrote:i notice this effect mostly on consumer volume pots...the only thing i can think of is that it has to do with the wiper on the dual-resistive pot not completely making contact with both elements of the resistor at the extreme position. standard resistors aren't precision components. don't worry about it, because as you raise the volume it clears up. why would you need to listen that low anyway?
Brew, thanks for your learned hypothesis on what might be going on here. M-Audio states this is NOT typical behavior. They suggested I try another PCI slot and/or use different drivers, but I suspect, as well as the folks that sold me the unit, that that is a doubtful fix. They are going to send me a new unit and give it a shot. I'll let you know what transpires in the next week. Thanks again! ---Lee

ThorAndersen
pluggin' in mics

Post by ThorAndersen » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:00 am

I actually noticed the same effect today with my headphones on with my M-Audio USB Duo. As I turned the volume down low with a mono audio file playing the two ears seemed to go down unevenly as I got near the threshhold of hearing. For me they even switched back in forth between which one was louder... which was reassuring, it let me know it wasn't one of my ears that was deader than the other.