firewire hard dirve

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
eggman
audio school

firewire hard dirve

Post by eggman » Thu May 22, 2003 11:58 am

looking for reliable firewire external hard drive...any suggestions/make?/models?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: firewire hard dirve

Post by leigh » Thu May 22, 2003 12:11 pm

I've been looking into this as well. Iomega's got one I'm considering, in their HDD line, 120 GB for $250, 7200 rpm. I'd be using it for Pro Tools work.

My experience with Iomega in the past has been good. I've carried a lot of data on Zip disks, and never had them fail in 8 years.

Leigh

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu May 22, 2003 12:45 pm

I've been using the Lacie 80 gig for awhile. seem to be working ok, just remember to drag the icon to the trash if your gonna be doing some of that der Hot Swappin.

cbcmusic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cbcmusic » Thu May 22, 2003 1:01 pm

Interesting, two guys from Quategy just came in to our studio and started talking about their new firewire drive. I'm no sales guy, but I saw the unit and it looks good. It comes with a hard carrying case with fitted foam inside to travel with.
Quantegy FHD80 & FHD120 are the names of the units.
80 &120GB models.
Built in 110/220V power supply.
7200 rpm
up to 35MB sec
lot's of other features, small but handy.

One of the guys that came in says he (George Lafogia) was on the first tape baking experiment and offered the recipe if I were to write him. I'll probably hit him up for that at some point and pass on the info if anyone is interested.
cbc

whosmatt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by whosmatt » Thu May 22, 2003 1:13 pm

All these manufacturers are doing is putting another mfg's hard drive (WD, Maxtor, Seagate, IBM) into a firewire case and charging big bucks for it. You can buy quality FW cases from many places, and then stuff it with the HD of your choice, and probably save some money.

Try other world computing http://www.macsales.com

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: firewire hard drive

Post by TapeOpHillary » Thu May 22, 2003 1:27 pm

i've been using the EZQuest Cobra 80G for almost a year...love it.
I also got the EZQuest Boa DVD burner cuz i loved the cobra so much.
maybe it's a snake fetish...hmmm...doubt it...
:mrpink: hillary
www.ezq.com

alarmo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alarmo » Thu May 22, 2003 2:10 pm

I've been using a Fantom 120GB drive for the past couple months and it's working out fine for me (on a G4 tower, with Logic). From what I understand, most firewire drives are really third party drives in a chassis with a firewire controller - the advice I've seen (and followed) was to get 7200rpm with an oxford 911 chipset.

That fantom drive has a fan, which makes some noise (about the same as my older G4), but I can live with it and I don't think I trust external drives without fans... I've seen some get pretty hot and that can shorten the lifespan of the drive.... which is NOT what I want to happen! :)

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Thu May 22, 2003 4:37 pm

I agree with Whosmatt. Buy a nice 7200 rpm IDE drive (I like Seagate Baracudas) and a firewire enclosure. It'll take you 15 minutes to put it together and you'll save some $$$.

blacklodge ed
audio school graduate

Post by blacklodge ed » Fri May 23, 2003 7:56 am

whosmatt is right. fancy cases just aren't worth the money. goto pricewatch.com and click on hard drives. a list will appear below showing drives by both capacity and interface type. it's amazing how cheap these things are now. happy shopping.
ed

ma-chan
audio school

Post by ma-chan » Sat May 24, 2003 6:59 am

i second an EZQuest drive. I got a 120gig 7200rpm firewire drive last december and it's been amazing. plus it's got the 911 chipset which pro tools approves of. i would definitely buy another in the future. macwarehouse is selling them for $209, which is a $50 price drop since i bought 6 months ago. the 200gig is fairly cheap now...if i recall correctly, it's under $400 now.

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Sat May 24, 2003 7:09 am

speaking of buying a drive and putting it in a case..

i use a 120GB 7200 rpm drive in a wiebetech firewire case. all aluminum, etc, compact and quiet, very happy w it. and not as big and heavy as my buddy's aluminum lacie.
anyway, i recommend wiebetech mainly for thier superb support. just last week i accidentally broke off one of the pins from the power supply DIN connector when i tripped over the power cord, (classic user error!). i emailed them to ask about getting a new cable and they fedexed me a new power supply the same day, no charge.
in general, i'll usually choose the mom n pops companies such as wiebetech over macmall, OWC, etc, just for this reason, the speedier service and support can save your butt if something goes wrong..

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat May 24, 2003 7:43 am

I have been quite happy with the lacie drives in the aluminum case.
I use Digidrives to track to, however.
I have been making my own rack mounted cases with ducted quiet fans, and better power supplies as of late. This isnt very hard. buy a drive from somewhere, get a power supply and 911 chipset from macresq, and figure out a clean way to mount it to a rack shelf, and get a blank face plate, drill a tiny hole for the status LED and you have a super snazzy (semi) high tech drive enclosure that matches your fairchild and your 7 1176's!

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu May 29, 2003 9:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm planning to just buy a HD and put it in a firewire case. I'm not real interested in dropping $100 or more -- it's just for backup and transport, not recording, so it can have a fan. Soooo, can anyone recommend some cases they've used with the oxford 911 chipset that they're happy with?

Thanks.

--JES

friendlybunny
pushin' record

Post by friendlybunny » Thu May 29, 2003 11:17 pm

The OWC Mercury Elite firewire case is great, and it doesn't have a fan. I use it for recording, and for transporting.

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Fri May 30, 2003 4:55 pm

JES - I bought 2 of the Bytecc ME-320 5.25" cases. They're a bit loud but inexpensive and have the oxford 911 chipset. They also have the ME-720 3.5" case but I'm not sure if they have fans or not. Good luck on your hunt!
http://www.byteccusa.com/