Logic vs. DP 4??

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Dr. Bell
alignin' 24-trk

Logic vs. DP 4??

Post by Dr. Bell » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:51 am

I'm currently running DP 3.11 (i think) on my OS 9 machine, but I'm hoping to scrap the whole arrangement for a new machine running OS 10.3. So here's my question: Anyone out there that has used both Logic and DP4 in OSX that can give me some opinions on how they are? Really I'm only interested in ease of use -- I've found DP 3 to be pretty confusing. Though I can get around in it and usually do what I want, I get annoyed with the interface fairly frequently. I'm dumping .wavs into the sequencer from a stand alone HD recorder to do editing and processing, maybe some minimal overdubs here and there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ottokbre
deaf.

Re: Logic vs. DP 4??

Post by ottokbre » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:50 am

I've been under the impression that DP is a lot simpler to use than Logic.
However, DP4 has been buggy for some. Try OSXaudio.com for some opinions as well.
boobs are life's fountain

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:12 pm

I have used almost all mac based DAW's in the past-and now recently, Logic. I didn't find it at all difficult, though it does have that rep. I am pleased to report that it was smooth and efficient. I wouldn't go so far as to say which is better-I think that depends on the user...
I am pleased to report that the the supplied plug ins in LP, sounded better than any stock set I've heard. I don't need most of the aftermarket plugs anymore. Another difference about Logic is the instruments are built into the code of Logic, which seems to make it run smoother. Just check out the boards on each program-sonikmatter is a great forum for logic users.

Good Luck!
H

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:33 pm

www.rawmaterialsoftware.com .Forget DP4 and Logic.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:37 pm

www.rawmaterialsoftware.com .Forget DP4 and Logic.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:51 pm

look again, and forget www.rawmaterialsoftware.com

doesn't run on a mac, much less 10.3.

anyway, i'm a logic user and i love it, especially w osx. for ease of use, i'd say the biggest advantage logic has is that it's so user-definable.

when you settle on a method of workflow, you can make your own screen sets and your own key command shortcuts, or even make a couple different setups altogether for different tasks. it's all user definable. may take a day to get that sorted but the time it saves in the long run is very significant. and gives you a better understanding of how to make the interface work for you, not the otherway around. well worth the time to get that sorted, which shouldn't take long if you know how you like to work.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:22 am

pscottm wrote:look again, and forget www.rawmaterialsoftware.com

doesn't run on a mac, much less 10.3.
actually, the Beta OSX version is out
boobs are life's fountain

Dr. Bell
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Dr. Bell » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:22 am

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm pleased with DP lately, although it seems quiet. Difficult to describe, maybe there is something in a control panel somewhere that I'm missing but for now it doesn't have much juice. Powerful software, ridiculous interface. I'll definitely check out tracktion and perhaps logic, too. The Big Box has looked good to me for some time now.