Audiodesk?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Audiodesk?

Post by bniesz » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:08 pm

Does anyone know what the differences between Audiodesk and DP are exactly? They seem pretty similar at first glance.

I've been using DP3 for a while now. Trying to make a move to OSX. I'm wondering if Audiodesk has enough power to get the job done, or if I should look into DP4.

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Re: Audiodesk?

Post by pandafresh » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:37 pm

bniesz wrote:Does anyone know what the differences between Audiodesk and DP are exactly? They seem pretty similar at first glance.

I've been using DP3 for a while now. Trying to make a move to OSX. I'm wondering if Audiodesk has enough power to get the job done, or if I should look into DP4.
audiodesk has none of the midi functions of DP.. and or.. no midi functions

-trevor
http://www.musicrelated.net/

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:28 am

what he said.
boobs are life's fountain

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:09 am

that's all?
DP - MIDI = Audiodesk ?

that doesn't seem too bad.
i don't use MIDI too often.

thanks guys.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:20 am

Plus audiodesk is free with most MOTU hardware and dp is $700. I seem to remember there being more difs. than just midi, but I haven't used the latest versions of either so these days I really couldn't say. www.motu.com, yo

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Post by pandafresh » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:46 pm

A.L. wrote:Plus audiodesk is free with most MOTU hardware and dp is $700. I seem to remember there being more difs. than just midi, but I haven't used the latest versions of either so these days I really couldn't say. www.motu.com, yo
yeah, theres bound to be more difference.. probly no "scoring" type interface. i dont know as i use DP.. never fired up audiodesk..
the thing sometimes people forget.. no midi.. mean no v-synths..
so it might be missing like rewire and stuff like that too..

-trevor

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:29 pm

judging from the motu site, it appears to do all the things i need it to. i'm just wondering if anyone has had firsthand experience working between the two.

it looks like audiodesk doesn't do AU plugs yet. but i can't do AU plugs in DP3 yet either, so that's not a big loss for me.

for most of the things i work on, i wouldn't need v-synths or rewire or any of that. just a solid DAW to mix on.

Audiodesk seems like it can handle it. as A.L. said, AD come bundled w/ most motu hardware. so if i get a new piece of motu gear (which i plan on) i'll get it any way. i suppose i might as well try it before dropping a load on DP4.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:04 pm

I used the OS9 version of audiodesk for years before upgrading to DP. I still don't use MIDI. I'd start out with Audiodesk and see how it fits you. i wanted a few of the additional features in DP, but they may now be in Audiodesk. The good thing is that if you run into limits of the software, you can always upgrade to DP. But it took me awhile to get there.

Best,
--JES

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Post by pandafresh » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:00 pm

yeah, no AU, but they must be working on it since DP4 now has it. though it didnt show up untill 4.1. VST wrapper is a great peice of software too for DP. lets you use VST plugs.
if audiodesk does all you want. then id use that. you can upgrade from audiodesk to DP, and not pay the full price, if you wanna upgrade later.
i personaly really like motu's software. i still mainly use dp3.1.1. i seem to get more track and plug-ins then i do in 4.1, but i have an older mac. plus motu makes there software for mac only, so its not like its just a port from windows. its built for your machine.

-trevor
bniesz wrote:judging from the motu site, it appears to do all the things i need it to. i'm just wondering if anyone has had firsthand experience working between the two.

it looks like audiodesk doesn't do AU plugs yet. but i can't do AU plugs in DP3 yet either, so that's not a big loss for me.

for most of the things i work on, i wouldn't need v-synths or rewire or any of that. just a solid DAW to mix on.

Audiodesk seems like it can handle it. as A.L. said, AD come bundled w/ most motu hardware. so if i get a new piece of motu gear (which i plan on) i'll get it any way. i suppose i might as well try it before dropping a load on DP4.

the-cruel
pluggin' in mics

Post by the-cruel » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:52 am

bniesz wrote:judging from the motu site, it appears to do all the things i need it to. i'm just wondering if anyone has had firsthand experience working between the two.
My buddy does all his records with Audiodesk, and has yet to need any more power to get some great sounding results. When he took it for mixing/mastering, Livermore expressed disbelief at how good the basic tracks sounded.

I've used DP quite a bit, and Audiodesk stacks up nicely on the audio side.
A good song transcends bad gear.

vmoney
audio school graduate

Post by vmoney » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:36 pm

I just upgraded to AudioDesk 2.02 on OSX, and so far I'm loving it except I can't figure out how to create a fader group! There's no mention of it that I could find in the manual, or in the online help. I'm pretty sure I used to be able do it in AudioDesk 1...

In reply to the AU support question -- No, AudioDesk does not support AU, only MAS. However, I just tried out AudioEases's VST Wrapper 4 and it works like a charm! I have a UAD-1 card that I could only use in OS 9, because they don't make a MAS driver for OS X, but with VST wrapper I can use the UAD-1 VST driver and it works great in AudioDesk!

-V-