MOTU 828 mkII?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
federal donut
gettin' sounds

MOTU 828 mkII?

Post by federal donut » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:00 pm

In my search for the perfect interface, the MOTU 828 keeps coming up as the best contender. It's a little more then i was planning on spending but I'd rather have something that works then pound my head against the wall. Does anyone have any experience running it on a PC? How about the onboard preamps? Compatibility with other software besides Digital Performer? If I spend all my money on the interface I'm not going to have anything left to invest in new preamps or software for awhile. I've been running cakewalk/sonar for years and have tons of plugs-ins and was wondering if I can run the MOTU stuff on that until I can upgrade to a different program.

Thanks

lars savage
audio school graduate

Re: MOTU 828 mkII?

Post by lars savage » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:40 am

I just got one of these, and it seems to be pretty good, although I've had a fair amount of debugging to do to get it to work with OSX. It's firewire only, so beware, because your computer may not support, if it's not a Mac. I think you can get PCI firewire interfaces now, but I'm not certain. However, the included software, Audiodesk, is Mac only, and is the only software I've tried running it with.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:42 am

The 828 Mk II can be used with just about every DAW software there is. Its solid and sounds pretty good. Allthough I would have to say that I like the mk 1 a little better. No LCD screen to worry about and much simpler. I think you can get a mk 1 for about $500 bucks used which is a pretty sweet deal.

foley
pushin' record

Post by foley » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:28 pm

I have the 828, but I use a mac. I actually can't figure out the lcd displays at all, and just control the thing from the computer. I have had zero problems with the machine using OSx 10.2. But, of course, a pc could have problems. If you can get it to work on the pc, I think it is well worth the money just to have the 8 channels of 24/96 through a firewire port. The transfers are pretty good (for my ears).

Happy hunting!

mf