mac people: pci 324 to sound manager and back again

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
JES
tinnitus

mac people: pci 324 to sound manager and back again

Post by JES » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:58 am

[Long preamble]

So for those of you who've seen my other rambles on this part of the site know that I have this weird situation right now where my main computer is also my studio computer. I write for a living, record for a hobby, so when I'm recording I haul the thing down two flights of stairs. No big deal since it's me and another person so the recording isn't spontaneous. But I'd like to be able to "spontaneously" mix when I get an idea.

[/long preamble]

So here's what I want to do. When the computer's hooked up in the basement studio, sound runs in and out of a 2408 hooked to my PCI-324. Up here in my office, it goes out the stereo out to a speaker system in here. I run OSX for everyday apps, but OS9.2.2 and DP 3.11 for audio stuff. Up here, when I switch from the PCI-324 to Sound manager, I can play CDs and hear sounds, but when I run DP, no sound comes out. Ideally, there's be some option for me to toggle so if I get an idea for mixing, I can do it up here once in awhile (I'd still do final EQ and stuff downstairs where the real monitors are). Is there an easy solution? (Yes, I know, buy another fucking computer already -- did I mention I'm cheap?)

Thanks!

--JES

UXB
steve albini likes it

Re: mac people: pci 324 to sound manager and back again

Post by UXB » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:43 am

Methinks I have an ansarrrrr fer ya, lad!

ahem, sorry, I find myself typing in pirate at times.

You have only spoken of switching your audio outputs to sm in one spot, which I assume is in the outputs int the control panel (unless you stated in, but that would make me feel less clever!). While I'm not a DP user, I may have the answer fer ya-1.you need to make sure you have sound manager drivers for DP, and that they are installed in the selected xtension set, and also make sure DP audio preferences are set to output on sm, not the 2408.

I hope this is correct and that it helps.

OSX (panther) would make this much easier, but I DON'T recommend using the pci-324 with OSX-the MOTU drivers have angered the computer gods and have cuased much distress in our fair town.

Best,
H

JES
tinnitus

Re: mac people: pci 324 to sound manager and back again

Post by JES » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:05 am

Hey Pirate H,

Thanks for your reply. I'm staying off OSX for audio until I hear lots people over at the MOTU forum saying things like "I've been using DP4 and OSX for 6 months in a pro studio without a crash." Right now, there are lots of laments for the stability of 3.11 and OS9, which is what I use.

As for the switch, my concern is that I'll have to do through DP track by track and change all the outputs, but you're right that a) I might be missing a driver and b) there might be a global setting in DP.

I will check!

Thanks again,
--JES

typing on the wife's computer while the main rig is in the basement for recording. . . .