question about Motu 828 amd Digi001

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
dune5233
audio school graduate

question about Motu 828 amd Digi001

Post by dune5233 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:29 am

this might sound like a dumb question, would it be possible to hook up a motu 828 from the adat optical inputs and outputs into the digi001 optical inputs and outputs
so i could use the 828 a/d converters instead of the converters on the digi001? if the first part of my question is possible does someone know if i could use both interfaces at the same time to get 16 i/o in to protools le?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Re: question about Motu 828 amd Digi001

Post by Professor » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:23 pm

If you can turn on the MOTU interface, input analog audio and receive digital audio at the outputs without a computer attached, then yes. I guess the answer is to try it. The only thing you won't be able to do is run any kind of MOTU software and Digi software at the same time because MOTU does not play well with others.
As for the 16 channel question - I don't know I use HD. But since the optical I/O are located on the PCI card, I imagine it might the ability to squeeze sixteen channels each way, but I would guess that it probably cannot. You probably can only choose the lightpipe or the analog I/O, and that would be in the Hardware Setup menu. You can probably choose one as the input and the other as the output, but I don't think Digi built the 001 to go 16 channels. The product description says 18 channels of input and output but they mean eight in and ten out, or vice versa, not 18 channels each way - I think. Again, try it and see and definitely let everyone know.

-Jeremy

xpulsar
pushin' record

Re: question about Motu 828 amd Digi001

Post by xpulsar » Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:22 pm

you definatly can use 16 in and outs at the same time in LE. I do it all of the time.