MIDI stability in OSX using different brands of I/O ?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
MagnumOpus
alignin' 24-trk

MIDI stability in OSX using different brands of I/O ?

Post by MagnumOpus » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:55 am

Hello there,

I'm finding that I have some difficulty getting my Emagic MT4 midi i/o to stay active in OSX's CoreMIDI system.

Sometimes when I launch Reason 2.0, I have no midi input, and I launch coreAudio/MIDI, and re-scan midi, and it comes back... giving me my midi signal.

The MT4 always lights up like my midi signal is getting in, and the USB light is active, but seem to lose signal to my software at random.

Protools 6 doesn't seem to give me any problems... but if I launch the programs that do...i.e. reason, absynth... then I lose midi across the entire system... so I have to launch coreA/M and rescan to get it to work again.

it doesn't seem to happen with my MOTU fastlane... that's always rock solid.

Has anyone else had similar problems / found solutions?
Some people are very tall and merciless...
....Quicy is destroying San Antonio.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: MIDI stability in OSX using different brands of I/O ?

Post by kcrusher » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:58 am

Possibly there is a conflict with the MOTU and Emagic MIDI drivers.

Go to Library>Audio>MIDI Drivers and remove everything except the Emagic driver, then try the system to see if the problem goes away - if it does, you probably have a conflict. Make sure you have the most current drivers for both interfaces.

Also - using a USB hub can cause this problem. Get a better hub - the Griffin powered USB hub has never given me any problems....
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: MIDI stability in OSX using different brands of I/O ?

Post by alexdingley » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:26 pm

AAAAAH! Hub!

I'll try plugging directly into the USB on the g4, and if that solves it, I'll buy a better hub. my Radioshack powered 4 port seemed like a good one, but I guess they're not all made equal.

thanks for the suggestion.

And the problem happened even without the MOTU drivers or hardware installed/connected... so I'm bankin' ont he hub.