start/join band in Columbus

mrhawkinson
gimme a little kick & snare

start/join band in Columbus

Post by mrhawkinson » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:08 am

I'm moving to Columbus next month and need to get involved with one or more musical projects there.

Does anybody need a guitarist to join their band? I enjoy art rock, noise rock, NWOBHM, death metal and some indie rock. I'm more into arranging and rhythm playing than 'leads' -- mainly because I cannot play 'leads'.

You can hear endless amounts of my guitar playing here:

http://www.bozart.net/music/

I also am an absolute beginner on drum set - I have a really terrible sounding kit and enjoy whacking it. I can keep good time but my fundamentals are bad and I will need practice before I get consistent. I'll probably always be a minimalist and suspect that my most natural playing volume is 'really loud'. My best bets would be 'dick rock' - Cherubs, Melvins, et. al. or really primitive rock like early Cows or maybe something repetitive and hypnotic like Circle but played more brutally. I would love to start a band with other beginning/transitioning musicians -- maybe I could trade guitar lessons for drum lessons?

Please email five_against_four@yahoo.com if interested!

-p

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Re: start/join band in Columbus

Post by dwelle » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:07 pm

does this mean no more bozart, peter?

i hope not.

just missed you a few weeks ago in san luis. you played with my buddies band. wish i'd known you were touring, ida booked you here in visalia.

still can't find the second album anywhere.

cheers...

marc

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:14 pm

i'm in columbus but i pretty much play the opposite of that stuff.... sorry! :(

if it helps, it seems like there are at least more people doing interesting things here than places i've lived before...

drew
sharingmachine.com

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:36 am

mrhawkinson

go check out "the rancid yak butter tea party" this friday at com(?) fest, you might enjoy that/meet some like minded people to hook up with.

if you've moved, that is... i just realized that you may not be living there yet. :oops:

anyway,
when you move there, check 'em out, nice guys/good band somewhere in the Mr. bungle vein... maybe they can point you in the right direction.

too bad you're not moving to cleveland, i know a noise band that could use another member (i think...)

-paul m
"the future's gonna be...
maintenance free."

mrhawkinson

Post by mrhawkinson » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:03 am

Catching up on this thread...

Marc- We definitely want to play Visalia on our next west coast tour as 3 guys from there drove all the way to SLO to see us play! Derek and I have been in separate states for 2 years so this move won't change our situation much. All our stuff is still available from us and from Frenetic Records... our new album is not in their catalog yet but they do have copies.

Drew - thanks for the restaurant guide!

Paul - I am going to miss comfest by just a few days (I am arriving in town next Wednesday). Looks like RYBTP play lots of shows so I will catch them shortly. Also, tell me more about this band from Cleveland! 150 miles is nothing compared to what I am used to...

-p

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:55 pm

150 miles is nothing compared to what I am used to...
you must be from out west! :lol:

let me talk to those guys, i'm not 100% certain what the status is right now, maybe they found someone.... maybe not. i'll pass on the info regardless.

BTW;
why columbus?

-paul m
maintenance free."

mrhawkinson

Post by mrhawkinson » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:20 pm

I did grow up out west and have toured out there a lot (7300 miles in May) and for two years I have been in a 'local band' in a city 1734 miles from my house.

I'm moving to Columbus because my wife is finishing a PhD at the University of Ohio...

-p

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:22 am

i guess they don't need anyone after all..

i apologize for the dead end.

-paul m.
maintenance free."

inthered
alignin' 24-trk

Post by inthered » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:53 am

I'm moving to Columbus because my wife is finishing a PhD at the University of Ohio...
Is she studying at Ohio State University or Ohio University? I'm curious, as OSU is in Cols. and OU is in Athens.

the more than music fest will be running the weekend of the 11th: http://www.morethanmusic.org/

-Colin