A polite linux request

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

absent
alignin' 24-trk

A polite linux request

Post by absent » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:37 am

Is it possible to start giving more attention to Ubuntu/Linux recording?

Linux recording will mostly continue to be a niche thing if it doesn't get a little more public attention from the professional community. The more people continue to be unnecessarily intimidated by it, the less the platform can grow. You rarely need to install drivers for anything, let alone locate them. For example, class-compliant USB interfaces just... work.

Reaper is not just "stable" under Ubuntu, it's *great*. This includes use of Windows VST plugins. There's still a long way to go with Linux recording, but it's going to take forever without more support and experimentation from within the recording community. It's not hard to find an interface that's supported by the community (manufacturers, less so).

The invasive privacy policies of Microsoft as used in Windows 10 make it absolutely unacceptable for many people. The high cost and endless upgrade cycle of Apple is so prohibitive to many of us that even owning one functional Mac is a pipe dream (and will remain so).

In short, we want out.

Tapeop, come back to the revolution!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: A polite linux request

Post by kslight » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:09 am

Be the editor of your own column, I say?

For myself and I presume others the gravity of decisions like this is based on just needing something that works day to day and is compatible with my prior work and all the tools I own - I don’t have time / interest in something I’m going to have to fool with excessively under the hood.

I’m not at all anti Linux and would welcome reading more about how it applies to audio. I basically grew up around the promise of Linux being a big deal for over 20 years and “overtaking the evil empires” but it never really worked out that way for most situations.

Some sides of the Linux community have an affinity for “free” or otherwise dubious software which I believe may make it complicated for ad supported publications to deal with this, ie: even if a Windows VSTs can be made to run under Linux the developers of said VSTs may not enjoy the implication that their program is “supported” under Linux without their blessing.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:19 pm

plugin manufacturers will also not be down with the push to open source everything. Of course they don't have to as long as they don't use any open source code themselves (since then they may be obligated to release their entire source...).

If you are really passionate about it and/or have information others could benefit from then you might consider dropping Larry/John/Scott a note to see if there is interest in an article. I'm sure there are probably others out there thinking along the same lines..
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:29 pm

"The high cost and endless upgrade cycle of Apple"

Um, hate to break it to ya, but here we still use our old Macs. Have several friends who also still use even their
ancient ones to run console automation and basic MIDI synch.

Yes, the initial cost of a Mac is more than any Windows machine, except for those gaming PCs you see out there (Alienware).

But IMHO the initial cost versus the lesser maintenance cost is more than worth it. You can also run Linux on one. Without having to extensively modify it first.

My son has a desktop PC, forget the company, running Windows 10. We set it to be as private as possible, and he only runs a few things on it, mainly a few video games, and Firefox browser. He is already fully aware of privacy issues etc. This machine seems to be stable enough for a 14 year old.

As to plug in and DAW manufacturers going to Linux, well, only if they can keep their code proprietary. Especially if they spent millions and millions
developing and maintaining their stuff. It would be unfair for them to just give it for free suddenly.

Cheers.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:55 am

I wish it was an adopted platform for music production but I just don't see it happening - I've been waiting 25 years. We write about what is in front of us; Linux rarely pops up. If there was a large interest we would cover it in reviews, but I'm not about to do a big article about how great it is just as I wouldn't do one about Microsoft or Apple being great...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:05 am

I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop to give it a try and... I want to like it, but some things are just frustrating. For example, getting my VPN installed and connected involved a bunch of Terminal commands rather than just downloading and installing an app. I had to do even more command line stuff just to get an icon for it to show up on the task bar. I shudder to think what I might have to do to get my DAW and all my plugins up and running.

I'll keep learning it, but right now my Windows PC has to remain my primary audio machine. Like others have said, I don't have time to mess around under the hood.

But if anyone knows any good resources for using Ubuntu for audio (or maybe there's a better Linux distro for this), I'm all ears!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:21 am

Magnetic Services wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:05 am
I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop to give it a try and... I want to like it, but some things are just frustrating. For example, getting my VPN installed and connected involved a bunch of Terminal commands rather than just downloading and installing an app. I had to do even more command line stuff just to get an icon for it to show up on the task bar. I shudder to think what I might have to do to get my DAW and all my plugins up and running.

I'll keep learning it, but right now my Windows PC has to remain my primary audio machine. Like others have said, I don't have time to mess around under the hood.

But if anyone knows any good resources for using Ubuntu for audio (or maybe there's a better Linux distro for this), I'm all ears!

It’s amazing how that doesn’t really seem to be any different, if they want Linux to be more widely adopted they need to close the shades a bit and make it just work.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 am

For me Linux is worth the trouble as Windows 10 has some really big annoyances with the constant updating and such.

Reaper runs just fine on Linux, though you are likely to run into difficulties with 3rd party plugins.