Electronic version - how are you reading it?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Electronic version - how are you reading it?

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:18 am

In an effort to declutter (and support the site), I've just bought the complete box set!

https://tapeop.com/subscriptions/complete/

I haven't done much with ebooks, Kindle, etc. I am curious what others use to read their Tape Op electronic versions.
I have an ancient iPad (iPad 2) that seems to do okay with its browser (Safari) on the Tape Op site, maybe I should
download pdfs and read that way. Maybe there is a way to view them using my Macbook Pro so it opens up in "2 page" mode?
(edit: found the "View 2 Pages" option in Preview).

What will I be missing, the classifieds? I imagine I'll keep the "current" paper issue and now I can recycle the back issues I hadn't
quite finished.
(edit: it looks like I want to view the .pdfs, which have images of the pages, including inline art, rather than the link to read the text ...)

Now, if Guitar Player and a few others would do the same thing ...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Electronic version - how are you reading it?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:36 am

I always get an email link to download the PDF version. Works fine.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:12 pm

I have completely stopped reading TapeOp since they cancelled paper subscriptions in Europe.

I just can't read magazines on an iPad. I downloaded a bunch of them, but I just. Don't. Read. Them.

Shame — it used to be my favourite magazine, by far. I've let my subscription expire.

FWIW, a friend of mine has had the exact same response since the move to digital-only.

We WANT to love TapeOp, but it just doesn't work for us.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:27 am

I love the paper mag, but if it were discontinued I would definitely still read on a tablet, even if it was inconvenient, because the content is just so much more interesting than any other magazine I've ever read. And I do download the PDFs each month too, even though currently I typically read the paper version.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:48 am

i don't. i live in the US and only read the paper mag, if it disappears i won't read it anymore.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:34 pm

For a while I was somehow not receiving the paper version, so I read the PDF on an iPad. I actually liked it, because that was in the era of shiny paper and before I got my progressive lenses - easy to zoom in vs. the tiny shiny print in the paper version.

I do like the current matte finish paper, much easier to read, but if paper went away I'd probably still read the electronic version.

The only thing I consistently *don't* read is the gear reviews.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:45 am

With the paper version, I've tried to read it cover to cover (but lately, only reading the gear reviews if they seem like they are aimed at consumers). With an electronic version, I may find I'm cherry picking the interviews and articles. I will have less paper stacked up around the house though.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:35 am

Until a cuppla years ago (1 year pre-plague) I rode a train 2.5 hours most every day.

When I did that, the 'lectronic was sometimes read as a back-up, like.

I prefer the paper, me, and still read it monthly during TV commercials, in the can, and in front of the stereo.

But I save both ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Dandoitourselves
audio school

Post by Dandoitourselves » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:39 am

I never really read the web version. I'd love to get the paper version here in the UK. Thought about trying to get a distro list for the UK and maybe Europe so I could have the paper version bulk shipped from US and distributed in UK/EU but to be honest I ain't got time for that. Would love the paper version to come back over here. I'd happily pay postage for the paper version 'cos I wanna read it but web versions just don't cut it for me, when I'm trying to reduce screen time as much as possible.

Please start distributing paper versions outside of the US again!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:09 pm

After the UK edition went broke we were unable to afford to ship mags to the UK/EU/etc. Currently we can ship them to you via Vompire, but it's £5.00 per mag and £19.00 to ship a single issue. This is not our fault! You can always order all issues as backorders, but when tried to set up a paper international subscription no one wanted to pay £114 to read 6 magazines. So we can't offer this based on postage costs.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com