Cotton Mather Kon- Tiki- Brad Jones

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Cotton Mather Kon- Tiki- Brad Jones

Post by the brill bedroom » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:21 pm

Has Tape Op ever done anything on this album or this producer? It seems so right up our collective alley that I almost recall reading it, but i may just be making it up. SUCH an amazing homegrown album. Plus, Brad's name is on the back of any good guitar album made below the Mason Dixon line in the last 10 years. I don't know a single thing about him except how many grteat records he's worked on.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:41 pm

A Brad Jones interview would be sweet. He's done some great work.

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:39 pm

Are you talking about the Brad Jones that plays bass, too? One of my favorite albums in, like, ever:

Here's a review by Harvey Pekar.

wenley
takin' a dinner break

different guy

Post by wenley » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:14 am

There are two musicians who play bass named Brad Jones. One is the pop producer who works out of Alex The Great Recording in Nashville. He's produced records by Cotton Mather, The Shazam!, and tons of other great bands.

The other Brad Jones is a bassist in New York City who works with many of the downtown luminaries avant-genius guitarist including Marc Ribot.

I only say this because I've known the Nashville based Brad since I lived in the Nashville area--he played bass with a lot of my friends down there as well as on my first record. I now live in New York, and because of the confusion, many avant and jazz fans think I've worked with the NYC Mr. Jones--which I would love to do, but haven't yet had the opportunity. It is confusing.

But I'll tell you this: I know Nashville Brad Jones could totally hang musically with anything the Knitting Factory and Tonic could dish out. He's a great musician and brilliant with arranging musical parts and harmonies. One time he even sat in on banjo with a friend of mine at SXSW. Banjo through a wah pedal. Awesome.

Maybe I should do the piece on Brad Jones in Nashville...hmmm.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:51 pm

Someone was working on an interview with him. I'm bugging them to se how it's going. Could be cool!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:03 pm

I just think Kontiki is one of those magical albums amd from such humble gear. I think most of it was done on a casette 4 track and an ADAT and Brad's mixes turned it into a genius album. I keep coming back to it over and over and I'm still discovering new things after 5 years of listening to it.

those complete bastards- making pop music so much harder for the rest of us!