Jack White interview

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

wedge
tinnitus

Re: ...the gender doesn't matter. She's just a shitty drumme

Post by wedge » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:43 pm

C_R_J wrote:ive been playin drums for over 10 years. yes, she isnt a "chops" drummer. she plays songs. thats all they do. play songs. they dont practice arpeggios all day, and the "chick" drummer doesnt practice ratimacues or any other dork drummer stuff all day. doesnt need too. they make songs.

ya know a good example? nick mason of pink floyd. is he a "awesome" drummer? no in the drummer sense of the word. he plays for the song. if you dont understand that, then there is no helping you...

and btw. nick mason is a awesome drummer in my opinion ;)
I couldn'ta said it better...

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:44 pm

vmoney wrote:Van Lear Rose is one of my favorite albums of the last couple years -- I'd love to hear more about how it was recorded. It's such a travesty that it was snubbed at the CMA awards the year it came out. Of course, Nashville wouldn't know what to do with real Country music if it bit it in the ass...

-V-

They recorded Van Lear Rose at that guys house in Nashville, the one that looks kind of like an old cabin or something. Cant remember who else he has recorded albums for off hand or even what the guys name is.

Kitana_One
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kitana_One » Fri May 18, 2007 10:14 pm

dwlb wrote:remember, now,using a pitch shifter to play guitar in the "bass" frequency range isn't the same as putting "bass" guitar on your album. Everybody knows "bass" doesn't refer to the frequency range of an instrument, it refers to whether there's only four strings and it says "bass" on the headstock. There's no "bass" guitar on White Stripes records, perish the thought.

Yeah, sort of like the Doors not having a Bassist either, huh? :shock:

Kitana_One
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kitana_One » Fri May 18, 2007 10:16 pm

ctmsound wrote:Like what? Don't hire a session bass player, keep that hack chick drummer and sing god awful to lame guitar riffs? Not much production, really.

Actually, there's tons of "production". Pure analog at that. Well... at least 'till it gets mastered for CD.

THeir production values are quite high IMO and I've read a bit about their recording process before. Quite interesting, if you ask me.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sat May 19, 2007 1:51 pm

ctmsound wrote:sing god awful to lame guitar riffs
:shock:

and the sun is blue