Mark Mothersbaugh

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

boysenberry jam fan
audio school

Mark Mothersbaugh

Post by boysenberry jam fan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:09 pm

I'd love to see an interview with him in Tape Op (I'm not sure if this has happened already)

Just my suggestion if not.

I can't get enough of the magazine and the message board is a great supplement between issues.

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:48 pm

I second that. The early 4 track recordings of DEVO were grounbreaking and spooky. Also, the early videos were very interesting as well.

Chuck

http://droolbrothers.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:54 pm

And beyond Devo, he's done some amazing stuff for films.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:02 pm

flapmaggot wrote:http://droolbrothers.com
Just listening to CDBaby... Your stuff's awesome... How didst thou produce it? BTW, the CD cover is eminently disturbing!

hotrats1976
audio school

Post by hotrats1976 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:07 pm

There's an excellent Mothersbough documentary as an extra on The Life Aquatic DVD. It's mostly about composing but he shows his studio a little bit.

boysenberry jam fan
audio school

Post by boysenberry jam fan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:23 pm

I watched that short on Mark Mothersbaugh on the Life Aquatic DVD and was amazed at all the crap he had. I can't get over the sounds he makes on all the wes anderson films.
"You need some time to perfect it. I need some wine but it isn't noon yet."

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:08 pm

wedge said:
Just listening to CDBaby... Your stuff's awesome... How didst thou produce it? BTW, the CD cover is eminently disturbing!
Wedge, thanks for the kudos. If I tell you how we produced our stuff, promise not to vomit? The first record was ADAT/MACKIE pres mixed to DAT oh yeah we used a boss dr. sampler (rules). Joe Kramer made a home made optical compressor to use too. The album with my cyclops girlfriend was done In Thee Box Cool Edit Pro, though I had bought a UA 610 for the last couple o songs. Oh yeah there are some cassette 4 track snippets too!!
Thanks again Man!

The DEVO DVD "THE complete truth about de-evolution" is worth looking at
because in the bonus area or the commentary, they talk about how the record company fucked them over, and how Bowie wanted to get involved.
Unfortunately, it also shows their real cheesy 80's videos. But those first vids are disturbing!! Love it.

Chuck

http://droolbrothers.com

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:02 pm

flapmaggot wrote:The album with my cyclops girlfriend was done In Thee Box Cool Edit Pro
Wow... I'm having a hard time parsing that, for various reasons, not the least of which is the fact that I'd started mixing our band's CD in Cool Edit Pro years ago, but then decided to jump to ProTools, but had numerous learning curves to overcome in the process, only now feeling like I know what I'm doing. Band members have commented how much they still like the older CEP mixes, making me wonder if I wasted valuable time/life. I sure did learn a lot, but that wasn't the point. Making a good sounding CD in reasonably short order was. Hmmm. Your CD sure sounds great. And in CEP, too?!?

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:15 am

Mark and Bob Mothersbaugh are going to be guest musician on my album... I'm totally freaking out! I've known those guys for years now... Really nice people. I've learned so much about music hanging around with those guys... Expect a new DEVO album soon. I guess the band is waiting on Mark. I remember when I got one of my songs on a film for the first time. I was over at his studio and told him about it... He said "Did you join BMI?". I said "No I'm joining ASCAP because it's free". He said "Fuck ASCAP!" He picks up the phone and calls the vice president of BMI and tells him to sign me up. BMI happened to be right next door to his studio and i had no idea. He walked me over and set me up... I didn't have to wait for the 30 days processing and all that stuff... I know anyone can join BMI but when your idols help you along the way I couldn't ask for a better way to join.

V

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:56 pm

NU-TRA said:
I know anyone can join BMI but when your idols help you along the way I couldn't ask for a better way to join.
He must have had an uncontrollable urge :D

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:58 pm

Devo has a grip of shows coming up in Oct. http://www.clubdevo.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:58 pm

NU-TRA wrote:Mark and Bob Mothersbaugh are going to be guest musician on my album... I'm totally freaking out! I've known those guys for years now... Really nice people. I've learned so much about music hanging around with those guys... Expect a new DEVO album soon. I guess the band is waiting on Mark. I remember when I got one of my songs on a film for the first time. I was over at his studio and told him about it... He said "Did you join BMI?". I said "No I'm joining ASCAP because it's free". He said "Fuck ASCAP!" He picks up the phone and calls the vice president of BMI and tells him to sign me up. BMI happened to be right next door to his studio and i had no idea. He walked me over and set me up... I didn't have to wait for the 30 days processing and all that stuff... I know anyone can join BMI but when your idols help you along the way I couldn't ask for a better way to join.

V
What a cool story. I'm jealous that they will be on your record.

Maybe you should do the interview...

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:23 pm

What do you guys want the interview to be about? Devo or Mark? Bob Casale (Bob2) is also a big part of Mark's sound.

pumadrum
gettin' sounds

Post by pumadrum » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:46 pm

make sure to ask about his film work (not that you wouldnt)
Curtis Franklin
Feel free to ignore me and use your ears.
curtisfranklin@earthsedgestudio.com

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:00 pm

I'll do it if it will be used in tape op... We can gather some good questions for Mark.. If anything I think Chief Engineer for Mark is Bob Casale (Bob 2) Since this is a recording article we should maybe interview him? Who do I talk to about representing Tape op for this?