Article for Using Synths as Effects/Filters, etc.

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

E Car
alignin' 24-trk

Article for Using Synths as Effects/Filters, etc.

Post by E Car » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi John, Larry, Craig, Hillary and all..

Nice to see/meet you all at Tape Op Con. Just seeing the photo in the latest issue made me want to waterslide one more time. Or at least hear one more person in the Potluck Studio. Thanks for such a wonderful conference.

I saw John's comment about an article on the merits of using synths as filters and effects and think it's a great idea. I am definitely not the one to write it, but I think it would be of great use to lots of people.

Anyone out there second? Anyone have the necessary expertise (or requisite DIY time).

Thanks,

Eben
Last edited by E Car on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allen Farmelo
audio school graduate

Post by Allen Farmelo » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:16 pm

After the analog synth panel / demonstration at TapeOpCon, I got it stuck in my head to have a modular console into which I could pop various synth modules on certain channels. I pictured it being something like the API or Tonelux modular systems, and somehow configuring all those cool analog synth modules to easily pop into the signal path.

Can't get the idea of randomized filters and non-tempo-locked LFO's creating accidents on muted channels during tracking, and then seeing what shows up -- intentionally being unintentional. Peter Grenader, who was on that panel, makes modules called "state variable vactrol filters" and "triple event timers" and "complex VCO's." While I can't say I have much of an idea about what these things do, I'd love to patch them in and find out.

I'm not the guy to write the article, though, since it's all imaginary for me at this point, but I'd love to see this topic get some consideration. Seems like a very cool path to go down to me.

Allen Farmelo
Allen Farmelo
917-304-9149
www.farmelo.com
www.melodicomusic.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:39 pm

I had a great time the other night piping my circuit-bent Speak & Spell through the filters on my Moog Rogue, and came up with some cool stuff, but that's about as far as i go with it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:16 am

Where are the comments? What kind of stuff would you run through these filters?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Article for Using Synths as Effects/Filters, etc.

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:51 am

hey, Eben. Checking out your site right now. Looks cool, I may have to give you guys a ring sometime before my next session!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/