Am i the only one that is really bothered by this?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

BABY BRITAIN
audio school

Am i the only one that is really bothered by this?

Post by BABY BRITAIN » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:16 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tape-Op-Magazine-30 ... 0055923261

This person has 3 seperate auctions of tape op mags for $60 a piece. Does it bother anyone that this person is trying to make $180 off of a free magazine. Even if he paid for them, isn't it a little bit against the tape op 'spirit' to try and make a bunch of money off of it. To me this magazine is so much of a help to me that its price could not be measured, and i would never sell mine. BUT, i lend them out to friends interested in recording and encourage them to sign up for a subscription and a profile on TOMB. Anyhow, maybe i'm just angry 'cause i'm sick! Sorry for the rant... peace. -Joe
"We went into the living room.
Someone was blasting Zeppelin.
It sounded good.
I felt ashamed.
I knew every drum fill."

cfMC
pushin' record

Post by cfMC » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:56 pm

it doesn't bother me at all. get money. don't buy it if you don't want it.

another thing, the person is selling 10 issues for $55 at that link, or about $5.50 per, which is not exactly an extravagant price for a rare magazine. if you want it, where else are you gonna buy it? I've paid a lot more for rare Fangorias

maybe more what this means is that Larry should stockpile extra issues back each time, and then sell them at premium back issue prices (like Fangoria does)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:01 pm

cfMC wrote: if you want it, where else are you gonna buy it? I've paid a lot more for rare Fangorias
True. Even something that was free, if someone wants it and there's no other way to get it, you can get money for it. Keep in mind, too, that any given item is only worth what someone is willing to pay to obtain it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:25 pm

it's typical of our capitalist world.
i emailed the last person on ebay that was auctioning issues and suggested they donate the money they make off of the magazines they got for free to a charity of their choice.

i suggest that if you're bothered by this too, you do the same thing.

Jpp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jpp » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:33 pm

Anyone consider that he may have paid cover price at a retail outlet?

Anyone have trouble with reselling a piece of gear they pulled out of the discard pile that turned out to be working? Or something that they got a great deal on? How about those garage sale finds, later sold at extravagant profits?

How much a seller may or may not have paid for something is really unknowable. I say save your dander.

Jpp

BABY BRITAIN
audio school

Post by BABY BRITAIN » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:12 pm

I guess i wasn't really clear about WHY it bothered me so much. Of course things are worth only what people are willing to pay for them. If i found a '57 strat for $50 at a garage sale and i was going to sell it (which i wouldn't) you can bet it'd be marked up a bit! :D

Tape op just feels like something, to me anyway, that you pass on like your favorite book or a good recipe. Not something to try and make money off of. Oh well. I'm not outraged or anything. Just curious about all of your takes on it. Certainly didn't mean to make anyone mad or anything like that. I'm new here (long time lurker) and i'm just here to learn, have fun, and make friends! For some reason i feel like i pissed some people off, and that DEFINATELY was not my intention. I'm rambling...
"We went into the living room.
Someone was blasting Zeppelin.
It sounded good.
I felt ashamed.
I knew every drum fill."

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:05 pm

Maybe it's time for all the Tape Op back issues to be scanned and catalogued as PDF files on a DVD. I'd pay good money for such a thing, even without a searchable index. Clearly there's a market for those old back issues, as they are a trove of fantastic information!

I've suggested this before and Larry (I think it was Larry) responded by saying that there's no way they have time to make this happen. But, a guy can dream, right?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:10 pm

And: I like the seller's other wares, including the entire contents of a video rental operation for $10k. That's sort of funny to me.

tenchijin2
audio school graduate

Post by tenchijin2 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:19 pm

Doesn't bother me. If I have something that I acquired legitimately, and you want it, we can come to an agreement about it. If you want to pay for it, and I want to sell it, then it's moral, ethical, and useful.

If I believe it's worth it to me to get those magazines then I'll agree to pay for them. Tapeop isn't a charity endeavor, either.
Aric Keith

Madness
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Madness » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Tape Op isn't free. Ads pay for its existence. The companies who pay for the ads are in essence paying you, the reader, to check out their stuff, by taking care of your subscription. So, it's costing you your time, dear reader, not that you're not getting something for your time, which is worth money. If you save all those TapeOps, they're taking up space in a room that you are paying to rent or own.

One day, you think, "I have learned all there is to learn from these magazines. Perhaps I can sell them and be paid for my time, which was worth money to advertizers, and perhaps I can get a little equity while I'm at it, for the space the magazines occuppied in my room."

One day, a young engineer is reading your ad on eBay. He notices the price of $60 and realizes that it would take him days, hours, maybe years, to amass all these issues of TapeOp. What's $60? Maybe it's the low hourly wage he'll be able to charge when he's learned something useful from the back issues he's just purchased.

All kidding aside, no one balks when asked to pay $175 for a'67 Ludwig drum catalog that was a freebie when it was new... Valuable things usually become more valuable. I love this magazine, too. Not selling mine; I'll give them away, but who cares...?

Life is short... Congratulations on the seller; I hope he gets $1000.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:52 am

I don't ever plan on selling my TapeOp mags as they are my favorite... funny since now I have a pile of all the other mags in my house destined for the trash. I wouldn't mind paying someone for the actual issues I am missing from my collection though. I hold TapeOp mags very close to me... I can't wait for new issues to arrive! Ahhh... It makes my day when they show up. In fact, if it weren't for TapeOp, I'd probably cement my mail box shut because everything else I get is just junk mail. :)

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:48 am

well, directional mic cables aren't cheap.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:03 am

It's like recycling I guess. I couldn't care less if someone does this. If they have 20 subscriptions and do it all the time, then maybe...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:49 pm

BABY BRITAIN wrote:Tape op just feels like something, to me anyway, that you pass on like your favorite book or a good recipe. Not something to try and make money off of.
Bwahahaaa!!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:08 pm

Copyright's first-sale doctrine strikes again! (yay freedom!)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I run out of space for my TapeOps--so far, I am coping by getting rid of other magainzes to make more space for TO.

But, were I getting rid of them, I'd definitely look to local libraries or schools, where TapeOps could be incredibly useful, subversive and/or inspiring. I would've loved to find TapeOp when I was a teen. . .

I just got a copy of the first TapeOp book, and it's great. Looking forward to the second one! I definitely like the idea of books / eBooks that can replace the magazines over time.
Pee-wee: [falls off bike after attempting tricks] I meant to do that!