"Let's make it sound like the radio"

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

wrenhunter
pushin' record

"Let's make it sound like the radio"

Post by wrenhunter » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:34 pm

That's two in a row. The full quote from the current article on The Blow:
We struggled. That's work to do that. That's 'cause that was our intention. "Let's make it sound like stuff on the radio."
Last issue, it was Deerhoof expressing genuine anxiety that they might not sound as good as Gorillaz and other stuff in the iTunes store.

This surprises me, especially from a couple of indie outfits. I mean, who cares? According to the Official (Punk) Rock Ethos, shouldn't they be rocking too hard to worry about crap like that? Did the Ramones want to sound like Yes?

What do you make of this -- trend, coincidence, no big thing?
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:18 pm

It's interesting. I noticed that too. I think it's more about holding something up as a reference, and trying to make sure you can "compete". You know where that goes in the mastering world...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:34 pm

making something sound "better" is such a subjective thing.... there are no bad sounds, only bad records.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:14 am

Ah, but do they adhere to this punk rock ethos? Do the Blow and Deerhoof listen to and, more importantly, want to be like the Ramones?

Also, "sounds like the radio" isn't the same as "is as vapid as pop music." Pop music seems to have hit a new low - but damn it sounds clean and crisp.

This might make the distinction very important among "indie" people, where there's a certain ethic that leans toward muddy murky sounds as more "authentic."

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:02 am

I've always been under the impression that some of the most influential bands ever found their sound by trying to emulate something else and just sounding like themselves because you can't help it? Like John and Paul were way into Eddie Cochran and Elvis, the Stones were way into Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf, the Kinks into Bo Diddley, Brian Wilson into Jan and Dean....

Just because you're indie doesn't mean you're not inspired by something and aspiring to write a great song does it? I mean sure, there's plenty of bands that get together just to write music to shoe gaze to or just for the sake of being in a band in the first place, but but but but....no? I'm maybe one of those guys who thinks it's great when indie bands become 'mainstream' though. I don't see why it's uncool to have lots of fans of your music.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

loveless
alignin' 24-trk

Post by loveless » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:59 pm

<pedanticism> ...I am pretty sure Brian Wilson was mostly influenced by The Four Freshmen. </pedanticism>

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:12 am

The bitch is this:
The radio sounds so god awful bad that I mostly focus on NPR these days. There's plenty of music at the studio, after all.
Ryan

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:37 pm

auralman wrote:Just because you're indie doesn't mean you're not inspired by something and aspiring to write a great song does it? I mean sure, there's plenty of bands that get together just to write music to shoe gaze to or just for the sake of being in a band in the first place, but but but but....no? I'm maybe one of those guys who thinks it's great when indie bands become 'mainstream' though. I don't see why it's uncool to have lots of fans of your music.
I see what you're saying, but I don't see a connection between "aspiring to write a great song" and "sounding like the radio". I also agree there is nothing wrong with popularity per se -- I think the Beatles had a few hit records -- but imo, the idea is to get there on your own terms.

Overall, this is less about sounding like your influences -- at least how I read it in those two articles -- and more about "production envy". That is the part I found odd. What Larry says about professionalism makes sense, though.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:54 pm

only speculation but 'sound like stuff on the radio' might just mean not cheap sounding. 'professional' sounding, not home studio sounding. vague sentiments to be sure but perhaps they were meant in that vague sense and you've misinterpreted. I dunno.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:09 pm

i would say "well-performed, well-recorded and well-mixed", but everyone seems to have a slightly (or drastically) different view of what constitutes this ideal.

i mean, i know what i want, but the next person might want to sound like the mutant offspring of Maroon 5 and a field recording of a Javanese gamelan orchestra.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:58 am

RefD wrote: the mutant offspring of Maroon 5 and a field recording of a Javanese gamelan orchestra.

*takes notes*
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:56 pm

dwlb wrote:
RefD wrote: the mutant offspring of Maroon 5 and a field recording of a Javanese gamelan orchestra.

*takes notes*
*cries black tears whilst playing wicked guitar solo atop craggy mountain during lightning storm*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:08 pm

RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:

*takes notes*
*cries black tears whilst playing wicked guitar solo atop craggy mountain during lightning storm*
*humps in back of van listening to new xasthur cd*

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:49 pm

trodden wrote:
RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:

*takes notes*
*humps in back of van listening to new xasthur cd*
*takes notes*

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:53 am

Man, I miss Bear.