Seattle peeps: Matt Bayles interview?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

kdarr
buyin' gear

Seattle peeps: Matt Bayles interview?

Post by kdarr » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:30 am

Has anyone tried to hook up an interview with Matt Bayles (Minus The Bear, Isis, Mastodon, Botch) yet?

I'd be willing to do some legwork for that one myself, if need be.

He opened a new room not too long ago, too... plenty to talk about.

[<|>]

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:58 pm

I'd be really interested in an interview with Bayles. Specifically, I'm interested in the level of professionalism I've heard he demands of the bands he works with. Two of my friends recorded with him a few years ago. They took their guitars and bass to get setup by a luthier at the shop I used to work at a few days before the session. They put a rush on them to make sure they'd be ready in time because they said he yelled at them for not having the instruments setup before the last session they'd done together. Even though that record sounded amazing, they said they'd never work with him again.

I've also heard stories of near fist fights with band members (both actually being held back) in the control room over drum sounds and yelling at interns who ask questions at inappropriate times. My band recorded at his studio The Red Room with a different engineer last year. The outboard gear is amazing, but I wasn't a huge fan of the studio itself. It's just a place he (and his business partner Chris Common of These Arms are Snakes) are leasing, and last I heard they were looking to buy a place of their own.

Unfortunately, I'm way to busy to do an interview with him and when I do have free time there's already a studio/owner that I'm planning on interviewing. If people have the time, I'm sure an interview with Bayles would be incredibly interesting and informative.

-doc

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:39 am

If that's true about yelling at assistants, then fuck him. That shit is bullshit. I have no tolerance for that.

I was taught in a very old school way, and definitely got yelled at from time to time, but I resolved myself to treating everyone with respect, no matter what. Making records is not like saving someone's fucking life in a critical care hospital room..... there's no reason for that ego bullshit.

I don't think I'm better for being yelled at and treated like shit...... what a joke....

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Tue May 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Look, I have no interest in seeing this thread degenerate into a bunch of shit-talk about the man, especially third-party hearsay shit-talk about some stuff that he may or may not have done, so can we not go down this road please?

Keep it civil, guys. Thanks.

Now: I think his production/engineering work is unique and interesting, and I am a big fan of many of the bands he has recorded. I've met the guy on several occasions, and he was always pretty cool to me. I think that he is the type of engineer that TapeOp is really all about - indie-pro. Plus, I think TapeOp could use a little more coverage on the heavier/noisier side of things. We already got an interview with Billy Anderson, so why not Matt?

The problem here is that I have absolutely no experience in conducting an interview, which I would totally be willing to attempt if I had a little help. Any have some advice before I start trying to hook up phone calls and such? Anyone else want in? Anyone else even care?

Talk to me, folks.

[<|>]

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Tue May 08, 2007 8:33 am

Like I said, I've heard stories of these things. From pretty reliable sources and from friends, but still second hand. I wasn't trying to start anything. I'm really just curious about whether it's true, and if it is true, where his sense of discipline/professionalism for himself and the artist stems from and how he veiws that transferring to the recordings. I'm guessing he's got a lot less aloof attitude toward recording than a lot of engineers that I read about in TapeOp.

-doc

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue May 08, 2007 12:28 pm

I think an interview with Matt would be cool.

I also agree that there should be no shit talking unless it's first hand (second or third hand is acceptable in the case of Paris Hilton).

MBayles
audio school

I registered to respond....

Post by MBayles » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:09 am

Hey there everyone. Responding to this may be a mistake, but I hope not.

I feel compelled to respond to the comments that mention me raising my voice at assistants, interns, and the idea of violence in the studio. The fact is I can recall two situations in the last 10 years where emotions ran hot. I take full responsibility for whatever I said to upset who I was working with, but I have never instigated any violence in the studio, EVER! In each situation we talked and worked it out.

As far as expressing displeasure with assistants, interns, etc. I am sure that I have occasionally gotten frustrated with interns/assistants. I imagine many engineers and producers interviewed in the pages of Tape op have had problems with assistants. It happens.

The reality is sometimes disagreements happen in the studio. We all care about our art (whether the recording or the song) and having different opinions can lead to frustration and then lead to saying things we regret. I will gladly discuss this with any of you via email rather than continue to give this topic any more attention. I am embarassed that any of these events ever happened, much less become grist for the mill.

Side bar:
FWIW, when I was an intern at Emerald in Nashville, I was yelled at by a mix engineer for signaling to him through a closed machine room door (therefore not directly interrupting his mix) that his wife was on the phone. My theory was that if his wife was calling it had to be important. Instead I got my ass completely chewed out at top volume.

I still remember the guys name and I still hold him in low esteem, no matter how successful he is. So I understand why you guys would be critical of me. I hope I have never been as unnecessarily harsh to an assistant or intern as he was to me. If I have, I can only hope it was a long time ago, because I feel like I have mellowed these past few years. Again, doesn't make it right, but I was a bit of a bull in china shop when I was getting started.

Feel free to email me at mbayles@gmail.com to have a constructive (and more personal) conversation on this matter or anything else you may want to talk about that is more pleasant, like recording. I am not in session for the next few days, so I can respond fairly efficiently.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:25 am

Hey Matt - You should pop in to these forums more often. Good to see you here.

MBayles
audio school

Post by MBayles » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:42 am

yeah, I suppose i should. However the sensitive subject matter of this thread forced me to post.

this thread could become a Q&A and I would do my best to make it interesting. But I always doubt there is much I can say that has not already been said by many professionals who are more experienced and more eloquent.

thanks again for the support.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:38 am

Matt, stop yelling at me!!!

shawn

MBayles
audio school

Post by MBayles » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:46 pm

haha. hey shawn. still on for Sunday beer?

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:12 pm

yeah let's do it.

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:59 am

Hey Matt, we met once when you played in Portales, NM, with Minus the Bear.

Anyways, I'm interested in what you've got coming up. Any new projects that you're really excited about?

MBayles
audio school

Post by MBayles » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:11 pm

I have a few things coming up, one that starts in two weeks that will last most of the summer. however in this era of press releases to the webzines, I don't want to announce it before the band. after that I have a few things coming together in the fall.

luckily I look forward to almost everything I work on nowadays.

thanks for asking.

kevin_soda
studio intern

Post by kevin_soda » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:49 pm

I must say this is quite an interesting thread. It just goes to show you that you shouldn't talk shit because you never know who's behind the corner. Anyway, Matt is there something special that you do to draw that intensity out of the performer or do you just record rad bands? That's a stupid question. I like your work a lot. It always seems to have this honesty to it where it's not super hyped like most music of the day but also not pretentious and art-snobby like "I record music for smart people." No questions really, just praise.