Matthew Herbert Interview

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

lanterns
gimme a little kick & snare

Matthew Herbert Interview

Post by lanterns » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:39 am

Thanks for the brilliant interview! I've been inspired! It's hard to think about my music the same way after reading this guys' brilliant ideas. The microphone in the corn flakes was too much! :D

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Gummy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:09 am

I agree. I think this might be one of the best issues ever. The Terry Manning article was amazing. It sounds like a movie script. I can't wait to read his books. I am going to costco to buy cereal today. How do you get crumbs out of a 57?
It may be a garage, but it doesn't sound like one.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Gummy wrote:I agree. I think this might be one of the best issues ever. The Terry Manning article was amazing. It sounds like a movie script. I can't wait to read his books. I am going to costco to buy cereal today. How do you get crumbs out of a 57?
blow?
that devil bastard protools

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:15 am

Yeah, thirded.

My wife said that she would like a sidebar, interviewing his drummer.

DinosaurSR
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DinosaurSR » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm

Great article, but it just reminds me how much I love reading interviews with Herbert so much more than listening to his records. He has cool ideas and great ideology behind his music, but then when you actually listen to it, it just sounds like any other slick house record out there.

manganeech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by manganeech » Thu May 10, 2007 8:43 pm

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of praise for this interview. I was blown away by how well thought out Herbert's ideas about the creative process are. It is so easy to get caught up in comfortable ways of working, so its great to hear about a concious method for generating fresh approaches and the happy accident. Down with defaults!

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 am

DinosaurSR wrote:Great article, but it just reminds me how much I love reading interviews with Herbert so much more than listening to his records. He has cool ideas and great ideology behind his music, but then when you actually listen to it, it just sounds like any other slick house record out there.
seconded. thought i wouldn't categorize everything he does as "slick house," the article gave me the impression that he is focused on process at the expense of songwriting.

Kasey
pushin' record

Post by Kasey » Fri May 25, 2007 11:13 am

perhaps, but you can hear his process in his songs, which for me makes it interesting to listen to.