Boards of Canada

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

zorba
audio school graduate

Boards of Canada

Post by zorba » Fri May 04, 2007 5:44 pm

I was wondering if tapeop could possibly pick these guys brains about how they record and get some of their sounds? Been listening to these guys for years and sonically, to me at least, they capture something really unique. Anyway I would love to read up on these guys...

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Fri May 04, 2007 6:02 pm

i'd be interested in hearing how these guys get thir sounds too, but apparently they are very secretive about their studio techniques.

i really like their work. i'm presuming they run a lot of stuff through plugins and low fi gear for that vintage/far away sound. i'm poretty sure i can hear the effects of tape echo and a korg ms-20 on some of their tracks.

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Fri May 04, 2007 6:28 pm

silly me, I was thinking you were asking about Cadac consoles or something like that.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri May 04, 2007 6:31 pm

I don't really hear anything that bizarre as far as techniques go with BOC. I think they just write good wholesome catchy 'lectronic tunes that have an analog vibe to them.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Sat May 05, 2007 11:52 am

Loads of detuning.

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Sat May 05, 2007 12:05 pm

Check out the section "Subliminal messages, symbolism and religion" in the Wikipedia entry for Boards of Canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boards_of_Canada

Has anyone picked up on any "cryptic messages,[8] including references to David Koresh and the Branch Davidians, occult symbols and numerology amongst others."

bed eternity
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bed eternity » Sat May 05, 2007 3:08 pm

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/f ... -of-canada

id love to see an interview with them from the tapeop angle

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Sat May 05, 2007 3:31 pm

I second that. Would love to hear some in depth recording info on these guys...

There was a small write up in Remix mag a while back that covered some cool things but I think TO would do a much better job.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Sat May 05, 2007 7:19 pm

well if we're posting opinions. i would like to *not* see this in tapeop.
i have no interest in what synth, or softsynth they used, or if their sampler as 12 bit or 16 bit. could not care less.

why not, you know.. interview someone doing some crazy ass recording.. like..

Efterklang ??
http://www.efterklang.net/home/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/efterklang-recordings/

check their photos for some mix and weird stuff recording fun!

just me?

hell, i woud even take the battles, though it was sorta coverd in the last (?) XLR8R.

pandoodoo

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sat May 05, 2007 8:27 pm

I personally think their records sound great. They have a certain aura that sets them apart from most other electronic or semi-electronica type stuff. think that they roll all over bands like Mouse On Mars or Air and would love to know more about their process. Its all about the results for me. A clever process is academic if I don't enjoy hearing the results. Menomena for instance, is interesting to me where some others aren't.

treymonfauntre
ass engineer

Post by treymonfauntre » Sat May 05, 2007 8:55 pm

pandatone wrote:well if we're posting opinions. i would like to *not* see this in tapeop.
i have no interest in what synth, or softsynth they used, or if their sampler as 12 bit or 16 bit. could not care less.

Efterklang ??

just me?

hell, i woud even take the battles, though it was sorta coverd in the last (?) XLR8R.

pandoodoo
looks like they do a pretty good job of explaining themselves on their website
battles will be forgotten in no time

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun May 06, 2007 11:41 am

pandatone wrote:well if we're posting opinions. i would like to *not* see this in tapeop.
The magazine has, you know, multiple pages, so that, you know, a wide variety of material can be printed in it. Kinda cool, you should check it out.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

bed eternity
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bed eternity » Sun May 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Efterklang ??

just me?

pandoodoo
the interview will not only talk about the technical stuff that they are using, which i dont really care about either. what it would hopefully do is enlighten us to their philosophies on the creative process and maybe even give us amusing anectodes

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Sun May 06, 2007 2:06 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote: The magazine has, you know, multiple pages, so that, you know, a wide variety of material can be printed in it. Kinda cool, you should check it out.
shocking! you don't say. i've never seen it. i thought it was pretend.
but i never wanted to drop down the free to see if it was real or not.

just saying. i mean. seriously.. BOC? maybe an interview would have been good in '98.. but they are the chemical brothers of IDM now..

just saying. out of so much new music being made.. to pick out BOC just seems weird and.. out of touch.

panda

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sun May 06, 2007 2:32 pm

pandatone wrote:out of touch.
Kind of like listening to anything that wasn't recorded... ummm... in 2007, right? Nothing to possibly learn from the old stuff from 2005, let alone the 1990s? :roll:

Please continue to let us all know your opinion regarding cutting edge production/bands/trends/party decor. Maybe TapeOp could interview you?

Damn. I am in a shitty mood today. I think that I'll listen to some Boards of Canada and go for a walk.

Jeff