Boards of Canada

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Wed May 23, 2007 8:20 pm

man, i constant break my own rules. its crazy.
so, let me get this straight. because i don't bother to run everything through a spell checker. im obviously an idiot. brilliant. the personal attack are pure class.
and you can't compare BOC to Ae, aphex twin and mu-ziq? seriously? i'll have to remember that as someone must have forgot to tell me back when.

god damn straight it was condensending. most people here seem to be dead set on telling me what i can and can't say. (wait, didn't someone say that? weird) ok, so we don't have to use guns. how about health care. i'd gladly pay higher taxes for universal health care. other people are not into that. should i say nothing to the people who are not into pay higher taxes cause i don't want to hurnt their feelings?

back to my most original point. if anyone bothered reading it. so you could pick anyone alive, to say, "hey, i'd love to see an interview with.... ".. and you pick BOC?
thats my problem!

so, apparently i can't follow my own rules, and i will come back to this tread anytime. i'm a lucky chap. and from time to time, i have to render stuff.. so my computer is more or less busy. and yeah, i'm erked so im checking up on the tread. like you don't?

panda.

edit: damn you render! finish. i forgot. i liked the one, about how if i can't hear how amazing BOCs albums are. im deaf.. doesn't that cut right at the actual heart of the whole conversation? i don't like BOC. so, A. im deaf, or B. i have something against the band. you must be right. i mean. i couldn't possbly be right in this case. or, hell, even have a point, right or wrong. i am just wrong/deaf/vengeful. thats wonderfull! top gear there. keep up the ace sleuthing.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Wed May 23, 2007 9:41 pm

pandatone wrote:so, let me get this straight. because i don't bother to run everything through a spell checker. im obviously an idiot.
i'm not suggesting that at all. it just makes what one might assume is your position as arbiter of all things cool in IDM less than 100% 'defacto' (doesn't the I in IDM stand for something?). i'm certainly not attacking you personally- i don't know you from adam. but i do think your WORDS have been condescending.

to amplify your point, gun control and universal health care are much more important issues than whether or not BOC ever graces the pages of tapeop magazine. so if you want to get heated up about something, maybe try a little perspective, and let the rest of us idiots enjoy our mediocrity, or however you prefer to think of it, without snooting it up.

Ben Logan
takin' a dinner break

Re: boards of canada

Post by Ben Logan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:21 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
pandatone wrote: if you look at what you wrote. your basicly saying i have no right to critique your taste. witch is just silly. you understand that yeah? you have the right to say what is good. but i can't disagree? isn't that odd? just me?

panda
Do I have the right to critique your grammer? :D
grammar :lol:

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Re: boards of canada

Post by Jeff White » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:29 pm

Ben Logan wrote:
ipressrecord wrote:
pandatone wrote: if you look at what you wrote. your basicly saying i have no right to critique your taste. witch is just silly. you understand that yeah? you have the right to say what is good. but i can't disagree? isn't that odd? just me?

panda
Do I have the right to critique your grammer? :D
grammar :lol:
Exzakly.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:41 pm

Back ON topic - count me in as someone who wants a BOC interview. They are at the top of my list of head-cleaner music, and I'd love to know more about the writing and recording process.

FWIW, I've managed to learn quite a few things from TO interviews with people who have produced music I care very little about, i.e., Hugh Padgham.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:45 pm

mjau wrote:FWIW, I've managed to learn quite a few things from TO interviews with people who have produced music I care very little about, i.e., Hugh Padgham.
i think that's an excellent point.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 am

Yeah, I'd like to know how they got that percussion sound on "Reaper"

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

question

Post by C_R_J » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:52 pm

(as in, when they played a few shows and people could ask them stuff)

i wasnt aware that BOC had ever played live. i thought they didnt ever. any more info on that? i know the coachella guys would pay them ungodly amounts of money to play that festival. i might be wrong, but i remember them saying that in a interview or something.

oh yeah. and panda. dude. chill out. your acting like a elitist electronic musical snob. ive been there. i was the same way. DONT GO THERE! ;)
time is money and im wasting both...

digital lofi
audio school

Post by digital lofi » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Long time reader, first time poster...

(Actually long time magazine reader; I think I've only poked around over here.)

But what better way than to get into the middle of an aesthetics slap-fight.

I just want to give some love to the Campfire Headphase. I'd listened to BoC before but that was the album that was the one that really made me "get" their sound. I think its a beautiful piece of work.

Plus, how could you not love an album called "The Campfire Headphase"?

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:55 pm

So... Boards of Canada interview?

If they don't want to talk about their music, maybe they could talk about their influence?

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Hey I would like to see an interview with those guys as well.

And to the guy who doesn't think they are all that. I agree to that as well. But babysteps man. I have not yet seen a good electronica anything interview in tapeOp. It might of happenened and slid under my radar. BOC would be one, that would be good enough.

And yeah they aren't freakin' perfect. But whatever, they don't need to be. They are good enough.

ANd that quote about Hugh Padagm was so dead on it wasn't even funny...
I stifled a humorous fart just reading it.

I am all about hearing about electronic music and emusic crossover artists and there processes and what not. It's my thing.

Larry is generally more into bands and groovy producers.

Oh and Larry thanks for Nino Moschella, that album is DOPE.

Regards.
I'm a bad man!

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 pm

firby wrote:I'm a bad man!
:P

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 pm

firby wrote: I have not yet seen a good electronica anything interview in tapeOp. It might of happenened and slid under my radar. BOC would be one, that would be good enough.

And yeah they aren't freakin' perfect. But whatever, they don't need to be. They are good enough.

I am all about hearing about electronic music and emusic crossover artists and there processes and what not. It's my thing.

Larry is generally more into bands and groovy producers.
Over the years Tape Op has interviewed Mouse on Mars, Plaid, Manitoba/Caribou, and some other electronic artistes. If you're interested in process(ing) the features on people like Jim O'Rourke, Larry Fast, Malcolm Cecil, Pauline Oliveros, and John Frusciante were good. The Hank Shocklee article interview was a fascinating primer on the early days of sampling, as was the Mario Caldato spot.

Larry Crane says he's been trying to interview Brian Eno for years...that would be the plum!

I love BOC for their spacious approach and great textures--they really listen to what they're doing. I think their albums (at least the later ones) are going to age better than most people lumped under IDM.

There are some BOC interviews at http://fredd-e.narfum.org/formerboc/int ... ginmegaweb .

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Hey, if an interview with Boards of Canada would make people mad I'm MORE likely to pursue it!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

MidiMonk
audio school graduate

Post by MidiMonk » Sun May 10, 2009 1:20 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Hey, if an interview with Boards of Canada would make people mad I'm MORE likely to pursue it!
Well, do it for the right reason, BOC is a very intriguing band with very deep pockets of sound sculpting.Even if you don't like IDM or "synth" music the layering, textures and intense attention to detail can aid in other genres as well.
"Everything proceeds as if of its own accord, and this can all too easily tempt us to relax and let things take their course without troubling over details. Such indifference is the root of all evil."

-I Ching