Where do you read your magazine?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

tguncle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tguncle » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:19 am

I like to read Tape Op while I'm camping or on vacation. I'm usually lucky enough to get an issue before almost every trip I go on, but occasionally I get an issue 3 or 4 weeks before I'm set to leave and I torture myself by holding off from cracking its pages.

Recording Hobbyist
audio school graduate

Post by Recording Hobbyist » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:29 am

I enjoy a fresh copy of Tape Op because anytime I don't have access to a computer and need to occupy my time with something thought provoking, it delivers. I keep the back issues because I'm slow on the take. I've grabbed back issues in the past and read interviews with people I've only recently become interested in. In regards to the advertisers, when I independently purchase a piece of gear then see an ad for it in Tape Op several months prior, like a parent, I enjoy seeing positive reinforcement of my decision. So far, I've yet to see something I've personally deemed lame. When I'm solber Larry Crane's writing is straight off the asses quill and when I've had a few, he's gravitates a little more to the testicles right before ejaculation.
Most of my underwear are torn or just have wear holes in them. I've got to get new underwear.

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:58 am

Its always in the bathroom for me. Unless I get lucky enough to recieve one right before traveling.

Tape Op is the best music magazine period. I laugh about all the time I have spent with other mags and money too. SOS is quite expensive. Tape Op seems to cut through the bullshit. The other day I opened up Tape Op and they were reviewing one of my favorite mics. Beyer M160. That mic is 30 + years old now. No other magazine is reviewing the M160. They are probably reviewing something new and slick by maudio or some other (likely) yawnfest.

Oh and for the advertisers I can look around this studio and see a half dozen things I have bought from reviews or association to tape op and this message board. If you build really good stuff for this niche market tape op give you a medium to sell your gear.

Its just a lovely magazine made by people who get it.
I'm a bad man!

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:32 pm

generally at the Dunn Bros Coffee shop and then I make a second and third pass while going to sleep. Then I will catalog it on the book shelf in the control room (also the tracking room and sometimes lego building room for my daughters) and refer back to it about 1 time per month.

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:14 pm

Me too.
darjama wrote:I keep it on my nightstand and read it before I go to sleep. Usually done in 1-2 nights.

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:57 pm

I read it at work. Is that bad? I drive a bus.
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:56 am

dwlb wrote:bathroom.

if it weren't for pooping I'd never get any reading done. :oops:
That's so true :D I was about to post a reply saying the same thing you did.

JHStudios
pluggin' in mics

Post by JHStudios » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:02 pm

I read my tape op mags either in front of the recording desk or on the bed in the corner, I can't concentrate on subjects of music and complicated electronics in the bathroom! :D :wink:
-- Josh H

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:45 pm

On the couch, laying on the floor, riding in the car, sitting at my desk, other people's homes, while waiting for my food at a restaurant, in the wait room at the doc's office... hmmm basically anywhere.

My favorite place though, is on my front porch. The new one came in yesterday. I'm about to take a break outside and dive in.

ProTooler
audio school

Post by ProTooler » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:08 am

On the plane on my way to the gig... Helps make the time go by much faster sitting back there in coach on those leather covered bricks-for-seats... :lol:
I'll sing the high, low mid part...