New Tape Op/ John Frusciante

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

New Tape Op/ John Frusciante

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:53 am

Just got it yesterday, and finished reading the John Frusciante/ Ryan Hewitt articles. Man, sooooo good! I haven't been that excited about an article since the Mascis issue years back...Thanks to John Baccigaluppi and of course Larry Crane for making it happen. Made my day!
-Travis

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:19 am

Yeah, that's a cool article. I read it right away yesterday. Time to pay more attention to his recordings. I didn't know he was so prolific. Also, it's totally badass that he's making reference to another tape op article in his interview.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:07 am

Frusciante is amazing. Can't wait to read the interview.

tonic889
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tonic889 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Just got in here in Philly. I am actually pissed that I have to leave for the bar in a couple minutes because I can't read it right now!!!

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:02 pm

Getting ready to read it right now, as it just landed in South Jersey today. I've heard a bunch of John's solo records and was floored. I'm a big fan of Blood Sugar Sex Magic but not of the other Chili Peppers' records. Not my thing. However, I love John's playing. Can't wait to stop typing ans start reading...
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Got mine a couple days ago, haven't had a chance to read much of it yet.

What caught my eye was the microphone museum guy. It's in Milwaukee, only an hour away!!! Any Chicago-area mic geeks up for a road trip?

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:37 am

I haven't yet read the article, but I heard from someone that they let John mix all of the Chili Peppers records and that he says that demons or something tell him how to mix it. Has anyone else heard this? It sounds so freakin ridiculous, but????
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 am

kentothink wrote:I haven't yet read the article, but I heard from someone that they let John mix all of the Chili Peppers records and that he says that demons or something tell him how to mix it. Has anyone else heard this? It sounds so freakin ridiculous, but????
Thanks!
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:33 pm

kentothink wrote:I haven't yet read the article, but I heard from someone that they let John mix all of the Chili Peppers records and that he says that demons or something tell him how to mix it. Has anyone else heard this? It sounds so freakin ridiculous, but????
I dunno - in the interview he said that he was usually surprised at how the mixes sounded when he finally heard them, different than what he'd been expecting during recording.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:40 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
I dunno - in the interview he said that he was usually surprised at how the mixes sounded when he finally heard them, different than what he'd been expecting during recording.
Damn...I knew that story was too good to be true...
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:52 pm

kentothink wrote:Damn...I knew that story was too good to be true...
Well, John has definitely talked about 'demons' or the '4th dimension', and lots of other strange supernatural stuff. Check out the video 'Funky Monks', it's a documentary of the recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, including Rick Rubin sleeping on a couch.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:30 pm

I'm really enjoying the latest issue too. Looking forward to hearing some of Frusciante's recent solo stuff. There was a time in the '90's where he flew a little too close to the sun. It's great to see that he's regained his grip on sanity and is happy and productive.

jp76
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jp76 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:23 pm

I wasn't feeling the Frusciante article. It read to me like, "records in the 60s and 70s had vibe, man. We've got to get rid of all this mojo killling technology." This sentiment is starting to feel like a boring schtick to me.

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Can't wait to read this article.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 am

i thought it was a fantastic article, along with the ian mckaye sidebar and associated ryan hewitt stuff. (and mic museum guy, tons of reviews... even the end rant)

this issue is probably the most engaging to me issue i've read in quite a while. way to go everyone involved!