How could Tape Op be better?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Meriphew
deaf.

How could Tape Op be better?

Post by Meriphew » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:14 am

My only complaint (and this goes for almost all recording magazines), would be to have more photos of the gear and work spaces in the interviews, and less pics of the people themselves. I don't really need multiple glamor/tortured artist shots, or pics of the artist with their dog or sitting in their backyard. That's my 2 cents. Anyone else?

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:29 am

The Mark Trombino interview is classic that way. He even has an ugly back yard.

I'm not complaining, but less glamor and more tools/spaces seems like a good general guideline for photo layouts. Diagrams too. I like diagrams.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm actually the opposite. I mean how many shots of a U87 hanging in a studio can I possibly need to see in one lifetime?

I would rather see some shots of the person or the studio in general. Now if they are talking about a specific technique or something, it would be nice to have a pic of that or if they focus on a specific peice of gear. Just my two cents.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Hmm... how could Tape Op be better?

That's easy. Make it a monthly publication. How about a weekly publication? Hmmm... daily? I can't get enough of it. To make it better I just want more. :)

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:14 am

What if it was printed on high density mineral wool and each issue was 48" long by 24" wide by 2" deep?

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:17 am

I think a visit to a studio each issue is cool, agreed lots of pics. Also, since Mix is almost officially dead, the one bit I always liked was the roundup of who's working with who and where, but in the TapeOp world, it wouldn't necessarily be Ed Cherney and The Rolling Stones at Big Studio, it'd be like [you] working with [your band] which they're doing on [platform x] and never plan on releasing via a major label. Then require everyone with a subscription to report in at least once a year with what they're working on.

In fact, maybe it should be required that everyone who subscribes submit at least one thing at least once. I think the coolest ideas are the ones I wouldn't even think to ask about, I'd love to read about some of em. The letters section is like this in some regard, I suppose.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:02 am

I still miss the lo-fi euphoria of the early days. There used to be entire articles about how to record bass through a laundry chute or whatever. There was also a short-lived readers' submissions review section, wherein Larry and others would review cassettes they'd received in the mail. I guess there's only so much a magazine can do with lo-fi though. I must admit I learn a lot more from stuff like that John Frusciante interview than I do from reviews of cassette concept albums submitted by readers.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:55 am

lancebug wrote:What if it was printed on high density mineral wool and each issue was 48" long by 24" wide by 2" deep?
Awesome. I'd even subscribe to the "deluxe" edition if it came wrapped in a nice linen with hibiscus prints on it.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:07 am

Current month music downloads on the website for subscribers, accessible with their password. As a bonus, you could have a reminder online about when they need to re-up.

Could be songs (curent, past or demo) by featured artist/engineer, or side-by-side demonstrations of products or techniques.

Gets into a little bit of IP hassle, but a lot of labels are willing to give special clearance for publicity, 'specially if its password protected.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:24 am

apropos of nothing wrote:Current month music downloads on the website for subscribers, accessible with their password. As a bonus, you could have a reminder online about when they need to re-up.

Could be songs (curent, past or demo) by featured artist/engineer, or side-by-side demonstrations of products or techniques.

Gets into a little bit of IP hassle, but a lot of labels are willing to give special clearance for publicity, 'specially if its password protected.
'twould be sweet, agreed. the TOMB is already such a great compliment to the mag, a monthly dose of music would be even greater... maybe the cream of the user-submitted crop? i always love hearing tunes from fellow TapeOppers.

but for my two cents, honestly, there's not much i'd change. it's ironic that the one magazine i can't live without is the one that comes free.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:54 am

It's already been explained to me that I live in Crazy World, but my suggestion is to fix TOMB so it works in Safari.

Safari is the default browser on the Macintosh computer (a Macintosh is a little silver computer that some people like to use.)

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:12 am

toothpastefordinner wrote:It's already been explained to me that I live in Crazy World, but my suggestion is to fix TOMB so it works in Safari.

Safari is the default browser on the Macintosh computer (a Macintosh is a little silver computer that some people like to use.)
what problems are you having? I use Safari to access TOMB every day. BTW, my little Macintosh is black. ;)

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:13 am

What doesn't work in Safari? I use it with no issues (that I know of). Am I missing out on something?
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:56 pm

i know how you could make it better.
make all the interviews with a video camera and then host it so people can get the magazine and read about it and then see the video footage so people could see their studios, gear, techniques, etc. i would so love to see that. i would watch every episode.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:55 pm

More articles outside the indie rock scene.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"