Dr. Dog Interview and Discussion

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

asmara
steve albini likes it

Dr. Dog Interview and Discussion

Post by asmara » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:05 am

Just rcvd the new issue. The Dr. Dog inclusion was great. I was waiting for this interview for a long time. One thing I wondered was what the typical recording path would be for a "we all belong" era track. Also there is some extreme eq going on and I wondered what kind of eq. Anyone else have any more to comment on about Dr. Dog. They are super great live as well. Check this youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsCGgYFVNDI
I really like this recording path.

cats&warriors
pluggin' in mics

Post by cats&warriors » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:21 am

I too was excited to finally see Dr. Dog in Tapeop. They are a very nice group of guys, and played the best show I've seen in a while here is Salt Lake. Incredible talented group of friends, having the time of thier lives. It gives me hope to hear they did easy beat on a 388! Check out this interview, Scott talks about a bunch of stuff. Long live the dog! http://www.walruscomix.com/drdog.html

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:16 pm

Please God dont let this one get lost in the mail.

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:29 pm

i was very excited to read the dr. dog double header and it was a very interesting time. i wish more on easy beat was discussed in specifics but you can't have everything and even worse, getting to technical and scientific esp. with this kind of band seems trite.

but muchas gracias to tapeop for doing a write up on them

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:08 pm

Those interviews shed a lot of light on the Dr. Dog records. The overdubbed drums explain a lot of the drum fills.

I love those guys!

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:41 pm

I saw them live in mpls 10/10 and their drummer was fantastic. These guys totally brought down the house. All the fills seemed to be played very accurately. I did miss them having a cowbell for a few tracks however. Also the main singer/guitarist tended to turn his back to the audience during every guitar solo or instrumental part so I could not see his hands. Not that the solos are very technical - they are damn catchy and inventive though.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:41 am

asmara wrote:I saw them live in mpls 10/10 and their drummer was fantastic. These guys totally brought down the house. All the fills seemed to be played very accurately.
I was thinking of a particular fill in the 1st song on Easybeat. I'd love to see the live version!

asmara wrote: Also the main singer/guitarist tended to turn his back to the audience during every guitar solo or instrumental part so I could not see his hands. Not that the solos are very technical - they are damn catchy and inventive though.
It's very deceptive. The 1st couple listens, I thought they had a ramshakle thing going on, but We All Belong reveals itself to have some top notch musicianship going on! Some of those guitar parts just smoke! Very economical, but there's not a note on there that's not perfect.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:43 pm

bedbug wrote:
asmara wrote:I saw them live in mpls 10/10 and their drummer was fantastic. These guys totally brought down the house. All the fills seemed to be played very accurately.
I was thinking of a particular fill in the 1st song on Easybeat. I'd love to see the live version!

asmara wrote: Also the main singer/guitarist tended to turn his back to the audience during every guitar solo or instrumental part so I could not see his hands. Not that the solos are very technical - they are damn catchy and inventive though.
It's very deceptive. The 1st couple listens, I thought they had a ramshakle thing going on, but We All Belong reveals itself to have some top notch musicianship going on! Some of those guitar parts just smoke! Very economical, but there's not a note on there that's not perfect.

I emailed them back when they first were on Myspace and asked them about how they were getting that great drums sound on Easy Beat. He said they used and SM58 overhead and added the cymbals and fills later.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:06 pm

jckinnick wrote:SM58 overhead

Bill Moriarty
audio school graduate

Post by Bill Moriarty » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi. If you want to know any specifics on the Dr. Dog stuff let me know. I worked on all of it except Toothbrush and 1 or 2 singles.

take care,
Bill

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:53 pm

hey bill, huge fan of your work..

will they put up with stems and seeds, or are they straight sensi guys?

thanks,
moustachioed in philly

Bill Moriarty
audio school graduate

Post by Bill Moriarty » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:01 pm

You don't like my work you liar! Go back to your "deconstructionist music" which I guess means a hatred of rhythm.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:07 pm

dude, i'm all about formalism, now... maann..

seriously, for everyone who's always talking about these records on here...this is the guy to ask.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:29 pm

Hey Bill

I was wondering what kind of muffling was going on with the drums?

Thanks

Bill Moriarty
audio school graduate

Post by Bill Moriarty » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:32 pm

Really old heads & varying amounts of t-shirts, towels, tape, schmutz on the heads. Sometimes on the hi-hat and cymbals, too. They sound like nothing - just a thwack.