which rock stars have tinnitus?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:05 pm

When asked why he plays his music so loud in the studio, Will.I.Am (of the Black Eyed Peas) responded that he's trying to drown out the hiss he hears in his head :shock:

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:13 am

rydaken wrote:When asked why he plays his music so loud in the studio, Will.I.Am (of the Black Eyed Peas) responded that he's trying to drown out the hiss he hears in his head :shock:
I assisted on a few of those sessions, and now I've got a touch as well.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:13 pm

mine is more of a clangourous ringing "SKWEEEEEE!" that comes and goes in intensity.

but i was stone deaf on the right side for a few weeks in 1990 and totally remember the metallic hiss inside the head that never seemed to end...that was quite horrifying!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:18 pm

the finger genius wrote:
rydaken wrote:When asked why he plays his music so loud in the studio, Will.I.Am (of the Black Eyed Peas) responded that he's trying to drown out the hiss he hears in his head :shock:
I assisted on a few of those sessions, and now I've got a touch as well.
Is it rude to wear earplugs in the studio?

Anytime that shizzle's happened to me, I put my plugs in. They're Shure E3c headphones, since I have no other plugs. I never cared if it looked rude, or even if someone thought I was using them to listen to music during the session opposed to just for hearing protection. I considered it rude for someone else to make me deaf.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:48 pm

i think it totally depends on the situation. in my experience, it wouldn't really have been appropriate to wear earplugs, although, at least i was able to leave the room once in a while to give my ears a break.

you have to ask yourself what is more valuable, possibly alienating a client, or preserving your hearing? (it's not always an easy choice, especially as hard as it can be to find work nowadays.) i didn't do too much damage; but i probably would not make the same choice again.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:42 pm

keep it coming guys. i would really like to get a good list of people who have this problem. i plan on doing some serious research and find out about these famous people who have tinnitus.

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:22 am

the finger genius wrote:i think it totally depends on the situation. in my experience, it wouldn't really have been appropriate to wear earplugs, although, at least i was able to leave the room once in a while to give my ears a break.

you have to ask yourself what is more valuable, possibly alienating a client, or preserving your hearing? (it's not always an easy choice, especially as hard as it can be to find work nowadays.) i didn't do too much damage; but i probably would not make the same choice again.
Only a joke of an artist or producer would have a problem with an engineer wearing earplugs. I've always worn earplugs when the volume goes up, and never gotten flack. Will.I.Am included.

Seriously protect yourself. It's that one part of your body that won't heal once it's been messed up.

infopimpster
takin' a dinner break

Post by infopimpster » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:00 am

This thread has convinced me to wear the plugs.

I don't have tinnitus but still love to sleep to Eno... Discrete Music, Neroli, etc... either that or Phil Hendrie... only problem then is that I wake up laughing. ;)

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:00 am

I think I'd rather have tinnitus than hperacusis like stephin merritt of the magnetic fields. one listen to their upcoming album and you pretty much understand the condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:08 am

Lu Edmonds (formerly of Public Image Ltd., The Damned and some other bands) has it. That's why he quit PiL. I think he's doing all acoustic stuff now.

Mradyfist
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mradyfist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:51 pm

I used to play in a fairly loud rock/hip hop band for a couple years, and I didn't wear earplugs for a while when I started. I'm so glad I changed my mind, because even the year or so that I didn't wear them caused some damage. It's pretty faint, and I usually only notice it once every couple days or so, but it's there. Always my left ear, always the same pitch.. I was usually to stage right of the drummer. Wear earplugs, people, even if it makes you look stupid.

Faruque I/O
audio school graduate

Re: which rock stars have tinnitus?

Post by Faruque I/O » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:59 am

Both Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher from My Bloody Valentine they had to take a break from making Lovless because of it...the story goes.

Lemontree
audio school graduate

Post by Lemontree » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:16 pm

I played out live in bands for 15 years and never had a problem till I got hit across the back/left side of the head & ear by a bottle in a bar fight 6 years ago.

I was totaly deaf in the left ear for over 3 weeks before very muffled sub 400Hz sounds started coming back. Over the years it's gotten better and better but I've been left with a constant 7KHz sine tone. Used to dement me but I've learned to live with it and it's handy for a tuning reference at times :D
suck 'em and see!

frankz
studio intern

Post by frankz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Bejamin Bossi, saxophone player for Romeo Void, suffers from tinnitus. Doctor in NY in the 90's told him it was not only the external sound levels that started the condition but the transference of vibrations through the jaw. Playing saxophone helped ruin his hearing.
I always found it was safer onstage playing rather than out in front of a PA watching a band play. Years of using power tools, skil saws and such, have had a worse affect on my hearing than the years of playing live. Still, a rock band in a small rehearsal room can be brutal. I can see how a loud control room can be worse than being onstage. Hours of continous exposure to high volumes when mixing.

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:42 am

I've had it since childhood when I had ear infections. The doc put tubes in my ears to help them drain and heal. Fairly common. But I was left with violins droning a third register EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in my head on both sides ever since.
Need white noise to get to sleep. Not really a problem. Maybe thats why I'm in rock bands. I and my mates always wear plugs. Absolutely have to. Last time we recorded drums at home-we were all in the same relatively small room-we wore earplugs under our headphones which were blasting.
Stem Cell research people! One day those stem cells will be able to get right in there and repair that nerve damage. Then we'll all be making heavenly mixes with our perfect ears.

Check out the trailer for this documentary on stem cell researche struggles

www.lifeisfortheliving.org
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?