We Want a TJ Doherty/Wilco article

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Tragibigzanda wrote:Thanks! TJ's a sweetheart. I had to edit 30 pages of transcript down to the roughly 7,000 word article length!
I wouldn't mind reading most of that, I'm sure.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 pm

There's some interesting stuff, for sure, but there's also a ridiculous amount of "Umm..."s and "Like, you know...". But I was really surprised at how engaging the whole editing process was! Sort of like mixing, in a way.
Alex C. McKenzie

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:06 am

losthighway wrote:
bedbug wrote:Great article! Well worth the wait. I enjoyed the specific information on recording guitars. Bravo! :^:
When did you get this? My mail man is going to wonder why I'm always staring out the window looking for him.....
I'm pretty sure it came Wednesday.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:10 am

Got it. I found it interesting. The fact that the dude worked so hard, so many hours, in such squalor and then got a life threatening infection..... it's like a cautionary tale to all of us.

The idea of combining three guitar mics, summing to the point of overdriving a bus, and then compressing. That was a new one to me. I've never even thought of trying to overdrive a bus before, or compressing a multi mic'ed guitar amp. But I think the compressor he mentioned might be key in that set up.

I was also baffled by him saying how many SM57's are on Sky Blue Sky. I love how Sky Blue Sky sounds, and I thought I hated 57's. Maybe I need to break them out again here and there.

marblelee
audio school graduate

Post by marblelee » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:01 pm

TJs guitars are my favorite. I listen to Rather Ripped a lot these days and those guitars make me happy. I also loved his comment about Tom Verlaine taking 6k all the way out. Love that Marquee Moon.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:31 pm

losthighway wrote: I was also baffled by him saying how many SM57's are on Sky Blue Sky. I love how Sky Blue Sky sounds, and I thought I hated 57's. Maybe I need to break them out again here and there.
I'm coming at it from the other end; I never liked the 'honkyness' of that album compared to say, A Ghost is Born. When I heard that it was mostly SM 57s all I could do was nod my head.

minkthinking
pluggin' in mics

Post by minkthinking » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:21 am

it still sounds DARNED good with 57s.

it's also really inspiring that someone can make such a great sounding record using mainly the cheapest, most readily available overused microphone in the world... i'm sure that we all know or have seen someone attempt to make a record using mainly 57s that came out sounding like dogshit.
granted, API pre's and great compressors/limiters don't hurt but STILL
it goes to show that it ain't the gear, baby.

i liked how he said that they took time with the microphone positioning.
that is key.

my QUESTION would be (if you have this in your transcripts) what the heck was used for overheads on Sky Blue Sky? surly not 57s as OH's toooo?????!??

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:44 pm

"I've never even thought of trying to overdrive a bus before, or compressing a multi mic'ed guitar amp."

Make sure it's a bus that sounds good when compressed! He ain't using no EuroDesk...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:55 am

minkthinking wrote:
my QUESTION would be (if you have this in your transcripts) what the heck was used for overheads on Sky Blue Sky? surly not 57s as OH's toooo?????!??
That record always sounded like mono overhead to me. LDC I would guess. As to which one, I don't pretend to have ears that good.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 pm

isn't there a single 57 up high on the live in the loft footage on the SBS bonus disc? i'll have to dig that one out...

i wonder if the mix engineer found himself fighting against the tone of the 57 being all over everything or not...
the new rules : there are no rules