Chris Camden's End Rant

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:24 am

hoagie wrote:
Rob Christensen wrote:Years ago I read an interview with some big record company honcho in Gig magazine. The thing he said that really stuck out was something like, "The first thing I ask potential new talent is, 'What will you do to be successful?' If they don't answer 'Anything' I refuse to work with them."
Funny, if I asked potential talent what they'd do to be successful and they answered "anything," I'd likely refuse to work with them. I'd want to hear at least something like, "What do you mean by success -- commercial, artistic, or what?" If their yardstick of success is implicitly commercial without further elaboration or qualification, then it's hard to imagine I'd want to spend much time with them. But that's just me -- drawn to work with artists who live by some version of the maxim "money follows vision." Hmm, now I know why I'm not some big record company honcho.

Hoagie Hill
My feelings exactly.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:20 pm

mine too.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:57 am

AMEN!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:20 am

Whoa, not so fast, everybody...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:25 pm

I think the rant was entertaining and made a few good points. But I also think that some of it is bullshit. If you're going to be a 'hater', at least keep the 'hating' on a level playing field. And lets keep in mind 'talent' is relative. Do we really need more elitist rants telling us what 'real talent' is and informing us of how shitty the talent pool of pop, i.e. popular music has become?

The Beatles could never have put together a live show that would even begin to grasp what they accomplished sonically on their records - records that included several key players, tedious editing, and pre auto-tune pitch correction/manipulation (adjusting tape speeds to hit high harmonies). Albeit none of this was done on a computer, it was still done, just in a different way with the technology that was available. And don't try to tell me they 'nailed' things on the first take. (I think it took Paul 92 takes to hit Blackbird?) And lets not even start with Ringo's drumming in those early days. So I guess the Beatles are a bunch of hacks then?

Or how about Kevin Barnes and his project 'Of Montreal'? He practically writes songs constructing loops on his computer. Beautiful songs that he could never produce in a live setting without the help of his touring band. So does Kevin Barnes and the hundreds of other amazingly talented musicians that play this sort of music suck too?

Or are we just talking about Super Corporate Radio Rock Band 5000? Oh I get it, you just hate THOSE guys. Because it's easy to hate them and because they are totally ruining rock and roll and taking over the radio and destroying popular music as we know it. ENOUGH ALREADY!
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:01 pm

andrewfoshee wrote:I think the rant was entertaining and made a few good points. But I also think that some of it is bullshit. If you're going to be a 'hater', at least keep the 'hating' on a level playing field. And lets keep in mind 'talent' is relative. Do we really need more elitist rants telling us what 'real talent' is and informing us of how shitty the talent pool of pop, i.e. popular music has become?

The Beatles could never have put together a live show that would even begin to grasp what they accomplished sonically on their records - records that included several key players, tedious editing, and pre auto-tune pitch correction/manipulation (adjusting tape speeds to hit high harmonies). Albeit none of this was done on a computer, it was still done, just in a different way with the technology that was available. And don't try to tell me they 'nailed' things on the first take. (I think it took Paul 92 takes to hit Blackbird?) And lets not even start with Ringo's drumming in those early days. So I guess the Beatles are a bunch of hacks then?

Or how about Kevin Barnes and his project 'Of Montreal'? He practically writes songs constructing loops on his computer. Beautiful songs that he could never produce in a live setting without the help of his touring band. So does Kevin Barnes and the hundreds of other amazingly talented musicians that play this sort of music suck too?

Or are we just talking about Super Corporate Radio Rock Band 5000? Oh I get it, you just hate THOSE guys. Because it's easy to hate them and because they are totally ruining rock and roll and taking over the radio and destroying popular music as we know it. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Excellent post.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:23 am

hell yeah!

+1

look up people! the sky is definitely NOT falling!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Don't take a guest opinion as the thrust of the magazine's existence. I like to examine all the thoughts that are out there on making records. Every time someone says, "This is how you do it" they are 180 degrees wrong about how at least one of my favorite records was made...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

ampguy
buyin' a studio

huh

Post by ampguy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:56 am

no compression or editing was done on my Neil Diamond tune.
Tatertot wrote:
mikeyc wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Okay, okay! I confess to doing a bit of comping and (hopefully tasteful) editing on my contribution to the TOMB Neil Diamond tribute.
That shit was edited? :cry:
Wellll ... Not prolly as much as ampguy edited his contribution, but ...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Re: huh

Post by RefD » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 am

ampguy wrote:no compression or editing was done on my Neil Diamond tune.
Tatertot wrote:
mikeyc wrote:
Tatertot wrote:Okay, okay! I confess to doing a bit of comping and (hopefully tasteful) editing on my contribution to the TOMB Neil Diamond tribute.
That shit was edited? :cry:
Wellll ... Not prolly as much as ampguy edited his contribution, but ...
:lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca