Lame sexist Mackie advertisement

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:18 pm

hoagie wrote:
dwlb wrote:
hoagie wrote:I just thought I?d lay it out to see if anyone cares to bite with a characteristically violent punchline.
You weren't doing all that bad until you said that. Nothing kills further reasonable discussion like impugning the other party's response in advance. Whether I agree with you or not, you've already basically said "who gives a shit what people on TOMB think?" So we're done, mate.
I thought I was being humorously ironic (in the context of the rest of my post). But I don't know what the emoticon for that would be. I guess I should have been more careful about someone finding my humor offensive, in a thread about offensive humor.
I may be overly sensitive to the recent rash of people coming around TOMB saying "this place sucks, all the people here are..." whatever, fill in the blank. It gets old and I read your post as being along that line. Apologies if i misconstrued your intent.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:04 am

dwlb,

No apology necessary. It's hard enough for one to make one's meaning clear in online forums -- text-only communication with people you don't know -- let alone in a thread on a touchy subject. That's one reason I generally stopped participating in online worlds years ago, except for the TOMB, where I appreciate the typically friendly vibe. (And I've subscribed to the mag since the issues were numbered in single digits, so I may identify with the "community" more than my mere 100+ posts here might suggest.)

When I got into this thread, my only intent was to add a few bits of info that people maybe missed... but I reckon I got a little carried away with my philosophomorcificationizing.

I wonder if and when we'll hear something in this thread from someone at Mackie. Like, "Okay, here's what we were *really* thinking...."
www.seamonstersounds.com
"May my silences become more accurate." -Theodore Roethke, poet

imdrecordings
alignin' 24-trk

Post by imdrecordings » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:54 pm

What's wrong with being sexy? :o
-Scott

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:28 am

imdrecordings wrote:What's wrong with being sexy? :o
That line runs through my head every time I scan the list of threads and see this thread's title...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 am

Tatertot wrote:
imdrecordings wrote:What's wrong with being sexy? :o
That line runs through my head every time I scan the list of threads and see this thread's title...
IST!!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 am

Fran Drescher. Aah.

BusyBoxSt7
steve albini likes it

Post by BusyBoxSt7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:54 am

not a PC ad but..
PC sees w/ paranoia. it's interesting to note that one has to jump to the conclusion of subservience. The ad only states that the girlfriend does the cleaning. It does not state why, whose idea it was, or whether the guy even cares either way. Someone who wants to find sexism (or who has been treated that way) sees what they have a sneaking suspicion of.

separate/together
Outside of any relation to each other, males in their own homes/apts are lazy/messy more often than females are (well, I'm at least sure of the male part, haha)... if sharing a space w/ someone who cares, a man (not a boy) would clean up his crap out of respect for others (male OR female).

what if she does it un-asked?
If it's the guy's studio, he's just dis-serving his clients. And she could choose to date a more responsible guy.

This man cleans his own studio and happens to be a bit OCD about it.

more blabber that has nothing to do w/ audio :)

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:47 am

*take photos and posts them on interweb*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:52 am

Too bad the OP has disappeared. We could ask him to re-title this thread "Hot, Sexy Mackie Advertisement".
Prog out with your cog out.

>Mojave_Gary<
alignin' 24-trk

Post by >Mojave_Gary< » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:01 am

By God now THATS an ad!.....weird thing is, she looks just like the girl that
cleans my studio. She leaves dust bunnies too......and I don't care ! :D
What the #*%@ is that BuZzInG sOuNd ??

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:05 am

i wonder how many hours she spent under the knife to look like that?

also, the studded wristbands, collar and the metal chains all leave me cold.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:33 am

BusyBoxSt7 wrote:not a PC ad but..
PC sees w/ paranoia. it's interesting to note that one has to jump to the conclusion of subservience. The ad only states that the girlfriend does the cleaning. It does not state why, whose idea it was, or whether the guy even cares either way. Someone who wants to find sexism (or who has been treated that way) sees what they have a sneaking suspicion of.
You might have an argument here, except you ignore the fact that we live in a context of sexism. It is absolutely not paranoia to call the ad sexist, any more than it would be paranoia to call the ad racist if it said something about "your negro" cleaning the studio.

>Mojave_Gary<
alignin' 24-trk

Post by >Mojave_Gary< » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:43 am

Hey RefD
I have to ask....where did your over-active, extremely distracting avatar come from? :shock:
What the #*%@ is that BuZzInG sOuNd ??

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:50 am

>Mojave_Gary< wrote:Hey RefD
I have to ask....where did your over-active, extremely distracting avatar come from? :shock:
my sister-in-law!

j/k, but she does look more than a little like that...tho not in terms of behaviour (thankfully!).

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:07 am

if you guys are really turned on by that ad, I'd suggest getting out of the basement/house/studio/internet every once in a while. Actually interacting with real humans may be the only thing that can cure you of your "hot for cartoons" disease. That ad has so much Photoshop work done that it makes me question whether or not a model was even needed for the ad.