Lame sexist Mackie advertisement

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:14 am

sears wrote:There's a tension between

1. if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem - and -
2. you'll never know how it hurts to be objectified this way.

I grant the limit on empathy and quietly do what I can not to hurt anyone. I think you CAN be part of the solution by trying not to be part of the problem. I think you can choose not to have your every personal choice be political.

I'm not directing this at the OP, but when men discover new ways to get upset about sexism it can be condescending to women. They can take care of themselves.
+1
This is exactly what I've been tying (and failing) to get at.
Prog out with your cog out.

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:56 am

there are tons of commercials that are degrading to men, too.

I haven't watched television regularly since I was a kid/young teenager.

The amount of stupid men with smart wives/girlfriends/daughters, or fat men, or drunk men, or balding and stupid men who haven't shaved watching television drinking beer.. or people who were all four.

I'm a guy. that's not me. that is so far from me that, I cannot get offended by it, because it does not aim to stereotype me.

I hate how sexism goes one way. I choose to only become offended by what targets me as a person(crazy I know). there has to be a way to see both sides.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:40 pm

????? wrote:there are tons of commercials that are degrading to men, too.

I haven't watched television regularly since I was a kid/young teenager.

The amount of stupid men with smart wives/girlfriends/daughters, or fat men, or drunk men, or balding and stupid men who haven't shaved watching television drinking beer.. or people who were all four.

I'm a guy. that's not me. that is so far from me that, I cannot get offended by it, because it does not aim to stereotype me.

I hate how sexism goes one way. I choose to only become offended by what targets me as a person(crazy I know). there has to be a way to see both sides.
Yeah, that's an example of the pendulum swinging too far in the other direction. Because we don't dare show a woman (or a minority) as the less-smart person in a couple (for example, on any sitcom) anymore, it's always the white guy these days. We've become the "safe" target for stereotyping and sexist/racist gags.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

CraigM
pluggin' in mics

Post by CraigM » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:24 pm

#101 Being Offended
May 28, 2008 by clander from stuffwhitepeoplelike.com

To be offended is usually a rather unpleasant experience, one that can expose a person to intolerance, cultural misunderstandings, and even evoke the scars of the past. This is such an unpleasant experience that many people develop a thick skin and try to only be offended in the most egregious and awful situations. In many circumstances, they can allow smaller offenses to slip by as fighting them is a waste of time and energy. But white people, blessed with both time and energy, are not these kind of people. In fact there are few things white people love more than being offended.

Naturally, white people do not get offended by statements directed at white people. In fact, they don?t even have a problem making offensive statements about other white people (ask a white person about ?flyover states?). As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people.

It is also valuable to know that white people spend a significant portion of their time preparing for the moment when they will be offended. They read magazines, books, and watch documentaries all in hopes that one day they will encounter a person who will say something offensive. When this happens, they can leap into action with quotes, statistics, and historical examples. Once they have finished lecturing another white person about how it?s wrong to use the term ?black? instead of ?African-American,? they can sit back and relax in the knowledge that they have made a difference.

White people also get excited at the opportunity to be offended at things that are sexist and/or homophobic. Both cases offering ample opportunities for lectures, complaints, graduate classes, lengthy discussions and workshops. All of which do an excellent job of raising awareness among white people who hope to change their status from ?not racist? to ?super not racist.?

Another thing worth noting is that the threshold for being offended is a very important tool for judging and ranking white people. Missing an opportunity to be outraged is like missing a reference to Derrida-it?s social death.

If you ever need to make a white person feel indebted to you, wait for them to mention a book, film, or television show that features a character who is the same race as you, then say ?the representation of <insert> was offensive and if you can?t see that, well, you need to do some soul searching.? After they return from their hastily booked trip to land of your ancestors, they will be desperate to make it up to you. At this point, it is acceptable to ask them to help you paint your house.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:32 pm

I like the old (was it?) Spectrasonics ad that talks about those consoles having much less distortion than other consoles and being remarkably superior and then concludes by saying "Ask the man who owns one."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:43 pm

cgarges wrote:I like the old (was it?) Spectrasonics ad that talks about those consoles having much less distortion than other consoles and being remarkably superior and then concludes by saying "Ask the man who owns one."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

But Chris, really. How many purchasers of Spectrasonics consoles do you honestly believe were female? Reality has to count for something here.

I would not be the least bit surprised if there were zero female Spectrasonics console buyers. If I'm wrong, I'm probably off by one or two.

I'm not implying anything about aptitude, just trying to "keep it real" as the kids say.

If you look at an ad for chainsaws, would you expect to find a female model holding the thing?

PC
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:52 pm

I didn't say it wasn't true. I didn't even say I was offended by it. That doesn't make it not stupid, though, in terms of whatever my opinion counts for. Same goes for that Mackie ad, Randy Blevins' website (or at least what it looked like a few years ago), and most of the emails I used to get from Sweetwater.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:48 pm

Werd up.
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:46 pm

RefD wrote:
Rodgre wrote:
RefD wrote:nowhere near as bad as some of the Dean Markley ads from the 80s.

*cues up 20 year old image of a naked sweaty nymph, her legs covered in satin sheets and boobs partially obscured by shadow, awaiting the return of her favourite Dean Markley customer*
I think that was Dean guitars... not Dean Markley.
no, it was definitely Dean Markley cos the ad was for one of their tan vinyl covered amps.
Yep, I second RefD on that. Tho it's proving impossible to find any such ads through Google... anybody got any old Guitar Player mags, late eighties?

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:13 am

leigh wrote:
RefD wrote:
Rodgre wrote:

*cues up 20 year old image of a naked sweaty nymph, her legs covered in satin sheets and boobs partially obscured by shadow, awaiting the return of her favourite Dean Markley customer*
no, it was definitely Dean Markley cos the ad was for one of their tan vinyl covered amps.
Yep, I second RefD on that. Tho it's proving impossible to find any such ads through Google... anybody got any old Guitar Player mags, late eighties?
I do! It had Nikki and Mick on the cover.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:40 am

Electricide wrote:
leigh wrote:
RefD wrote:
Rodgre wrote:

I do! It had Nikki and Mick on the cover.
hehe.

sadly, i let all my GPs from '83 to '97 (i let my sub lapse cos it had become a crappy mag) go to the used book store when we moved in 2001.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:49 pm

Mr PC wrote:What's wrong with being sexy?

Smell the glove.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

goose
ass engineer

Post by goose » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:41 am

Mr PC wrote:What's wrong with being sexy?

WTF?!? What band is that? And why is that album not in my collection?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:50 am

The question I had was "where can I get bright yellow humbuckers?"
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:52 am

If you don't like sexist ads (I find them increasingly offensive - esp. after having my 2 daughters) stay away from Vintage Guitar magazine. Loads of garbage ads in every issue.