Tape Op: The Book Volume 2

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Gummy
alignin' 24-trk

Tape Op: The Book Volume 2

Post by Gummy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Just got home from PLC in NOLA, LOL, and it was great and I was very happy to find my book here. I have not read a single word yet and I would like to congratulate all involved in getting this out already. The look and feel of the the book is great. The vibe alone will make it more enjoyable and I am sure I am going to enjoy every bit of it, as I did the first. I hope all the extra work that went into doing this on your own terms, Larry and Company, feels worth it now that this is out. Now all I need to do is get caught up on all my work and find some time to read it.

Thanks again
It may be a garage, but it doesn't sound like one.

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Just got home from work to find mine in the mailbox. Steve Albini's foreward was fucking great.

... Back to reading
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:20 am

mine just arrived. a little disappointed about how beat up it got in transit - wish it had been in a padded envelope. Look forward to reading it though.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 am

dubold wrote:mine just arrived. a little disappointed about how beat up it got in transit - wish it had been in a padded envelope. Look forward to reading it though.
they need to stop putting your mail in the cheese-grater truck!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:47 pm

Got mine today too. The cover is pretty banged up -- frankly, it looks like a used book! -- but oh well, it's what's on the inside that matters. I've only thumbed through the first few pages, but I can't wait to read it...

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Post by kuene » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:25 am

yes, i'm loving the book, but mine was pretty banged up too. no big deal at all though. the only reason i'm bothering adding to the thread is that perhaps that third party seller should be reconsidered for volume 3 - given the complaints that came down the line about some folks' ordering debacles, and now their packing method.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:22 am

Mine is also beat up, mostly along the spine and in such a way that I'm not exactly sure how USPS managed to do it. I personally don't care, but it doesn't look anything like a "new" book, and I agree that maybe they should be packed/handled differently in the future.

EDIT: I don't want to seem negative: it's totally awesome from what I've read so far. I really like all the little "extra" end rants and one-page articles sprinkled throughout it; it's a really nice touch IMO.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:59 pm

kuene wrote:yes, i'm loving the book, but mine was pretty banged up too. no big deal at all though. the only reason i'm bothering adding to the thread is that perhaps that third party seller should be reconsidered for volume 3 - given the complaints that came down the line about some folks' ordering debacles, and now their packing method.
Not a bad idea. I called Quimby's here in Chicago (they carry back issues and the 1st book) a couple days before the release date to confirm that they would be carrying it. I like supporting local merchants (esp. mom & pops) whenever possible. Unfortunately, they couldn't confirm if it was ordered/expected to arrive. I guess I have to go and see for my self (and drop some more coin on back issues while I'm at it). I hate it when my Tape Op and Mix show up mangled - I would be super pissed if my book showed up in that condition.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:42 am

Anyone know when this is going to be available in the UK?

Alternatively, are there any online shops stocking it?

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 pm

To order the book, and to get it anywhere in the world:

http://www.tonevendor.com/item/28924

The initial books were sent out by us, I'm not quite sure how the USPS did such a great job on destroying the books. We're really sorry about that. Chris Garges' book showed up missing, and 2 copies of some other mag in its place! Excellent.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:05 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:I'm not quite sure how the USPS did such a great job on destroying the books. We're really sorry about that. Chris Garges' book showed up missing, and 2 copies of some other mag in its place! Excellent.
and they're gonna raise the postage again soon! :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:45 am

Just got mine in the mail yesterday. Tonevendor is super fast btw.
I swear I placed the order online, and it was in my mailbox by the time I clicked over to the confirmation page! (well, not really but it was pretty fast getting here). I also snagged one of those Tape Op t-shirts!
I read Albini's intro then went straight to the Fridmann article. I only had two or three issues between 15-20 then my subscription picked up from 20 onward. So this book is perfect to offset my collection.
Oh, and it was in great condition when I got it too. So, I give a positive review for Tonevendor and their service.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:18 am

RefD wrote:and they're gonna raise the postage again soon! :lol:
If you only knew what other kind of utter bullshit I've been through with the postal service this week, too. I'm done with those fuckers.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:32 am

cgarges wrote:
RefD wrote:and they're gonna raise the postage again soon! :lol:
If you only knew what other kind of utter bullshit I've been through with the postal service this week, too. I'm done with those fuckers.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Careful with that rhetoric. Those guys like to go crazy with guns...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:34 am

I can totally see why. If I had to deal with that kind of stuff on a day-to-day basis, I would, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC