HotShot, was it really intended to offend?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:30 am

I got my copy yesterday and immediately read the intro and then the letters looking for the one being discussed here. I have to say, I couldn't see any other way to read that letter except that the writer was being an ass. I feel like I'm a pretty level-headed person who can usually find a way to give somebody the benefit of the doubt, but that letter made no sense except as a gripe.

My two cents.
lfg

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:31 pm

I missed the issue in which said letter was run, but to Larry, here's my $0.02:

Don't change a goddamn thing.

TapeOp is an inspiration for so many of us, as well as a community (especially here on the board). I, for one, can honestly say that TapeOp has certainly been a constant, consistent enrichment of my quality of creative life for years, it's something I look forward to, and it's free, which is amazing. Thank you, sirs and madams of both print on online TapeOp, and keep 'em coming!
I like pie.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:48 pm

TO ain't perfect, but i'd rather be reading it than just about any other mag that covers recording.

i certainly won't be letting my sub lapse in the foreseeable future.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

nerdtronica
pluggin' in mics

Post by nerdtronica » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:16 am

OK, I just got my copy, I got kind of worried that I may not get my free copy. I got so nervous, I think I need to get the paid subscription to assure that I get a copy every month.

Yeah, the dude was being kind of a jerk. I just don't think he had any valid criticism. If he was a paying subscriber, he might have some semi-valid points, but he goes for the free subscription - that leaves no room for his style of bitching.

I would take him off the free subscription list, if he doesn't really care for the mag or if it is just a 'fun' read. We'll see how much he doesn't care for it. mAybe he can live with out it. I can't.

Of course we all can't afford every piece of merchandise in the mag, but maybe we can save up for one or two pieces, the reviews are helpful there. Or, perhaps we'll cross paths in other studios with some of this high priced gear. I think the mag keeps us up to date with knowing about it all.

And, I wonder who this guy thinks pays for his free subscription. I guess it just falls out of the sky.

I'd cut his free subscription and tell him to make his own free mag. A 'hotshot' like him could do that in a snap, right?? with no budget?

Dude is full of shit if he thinks he doesn't learn something valuable from every issue, is that even possible? He must be a terrible reader.

I just don't know what kind of target audience this guy belongs to, he may be the only member.

Cheers

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:06 pm

At least he didnt call Larry a 'Hot Stick Pilot' :roll:
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

revmutt
audio school

Post by revmutt » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:22 am

The "hotshot" guy's letter seems to have been written by someone who is angry about a lot of things.

My response to his studio budget, which he seemed to feel was too small would be to take a day job or a second day job. People do all sorts of stuff to make ends meet and to finance their interests, hobbies or passions.

To address his opinions on the magazine would be pointless, I don't agree with them and pretty much don't understand how he comes to the conclusions he does, I think I couldn't possibly agree less.

I thought it was interesting that he made a comment about not being in an "urban" area. For me to say any more about this would be assuming a lot more then I know and for him to have brought it up was probably asking for it.

Tape-Op is the only recording magazine I continue to read because it is the only one that hits on the wide range of people who do this job. I may not have the 40 years experience that some folks who read have, I only have 27 but I believe my thoughts on the subject are as appreciated by Hotshot Larry just the same.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:27 pm

My unpublished and abandoned response was to fire back to the ass point-by-point. This seemed too much and hard to follow. Much of it was funny though, and I should have kept it to post here. Like the non-urban thing. WTF? I live in a tiny town in the desert. Hard to be a hot shot there...

I think the guy has other problems. Anyone lashing out at others is usually expressing a deep unhappiness within themselves. In a way I feel I should leave these sorts of people alone and ignore their BS, but when they are taking shots at me I get kinda pissed off. Plus it was a good way to explain that I want criticism, but not in the form of personal pot shots or blanket statements.

It's an unfortunate letter, that certainly says more about himself than me or Tape Op. I get about one a week like this and it's sort of amazing. No one MAKES anyone read the fucking magazine, right?
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com