New magazine: LC end rant about "purity and honesty&qu

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

New magazine: LC end rant about "purity and honesty&qu

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Best end rant ever. Freaking awesome. Way to go LC.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:59 pm

i poured myself a drink just so i could do a spit-take.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

nerdtronica
pluggin' in mics

Post by nerdtronica » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Definitely a great rant.

I especially like the Britney part. I am usually a good imagineer, but I am still trying to imagine- but it's not coming

I was trying to discuss this rant with some other online folks, but it seems that the www.tapeop.com/honestrecordings link is not active yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to get those activated? I would love to spread this around.
cheers

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:16 pm

I already sent in my $5000 this morning (cash, since I just ran out of checks) and I'm kind of nervous now since that url still isn't working - do you think maybe the whole thing is some kind of hoax?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:21 pm

nerdtronica wrote:I was trying to discuss this rant with some other online folks, but it seems that the www.tapeop.com/honestrecordings link is not active yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to get those activated? I would love to spread this around.
cheers
You're aware that it's all pretty tongue-in-cheek, right? I doubt that link will ever be active and if it is, it'll probably just be as the punchline to the joke.

I thought it was hilarious. I L'ed my A O. I was all, "ha! yeah, I hate those people"... but, by the time I got to the end, all I could do is say, "touche'"

Good stuff, Larry.

nerdtronica
pluggin' in mics

Post by nerdtronica » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Tatertot wrote: $5000 this morning (cash,
You didn't send USA dollars, did you?
$5000 (USA) won't be enough, you better send another $5000. :lol:

nerdtronica
pluggin' in mics

Post by nerdtronica » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:13 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
You're aware that it's all pretty tongue-in-cheek, right? I doubt that link will ever be active and if it is, it'll probably just be as the punchline to the joke.
yes, I'm aware. After reading the Live Tracking entry I was tipped off, see my first comment.

I just wanted to share it with all my studio-owning friends. Some will defend this stuff, some will laugh - it's a great rant. I wanna hear what they have to say.

I thought the link would just be an electronic version of the text.
Or if we're lucky an application for submission. :hammer:

I am not as organic as this recipes calls for. I have my own certification standards. :P

Larry needs to come up with an acronym for this. We have the USDA, what would this be?

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:15 pm

What? I'm totally serious. Look at the blog to see what I'm sitting in front of right now... and I'm gonna mix a song in the box this week as well...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

nerdtronica
pluggin' in mics

Post by nerdtronica » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:21 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:What? I'm totally serious. Look at the blog to see what I'm sitting in front of right now... and I'm gonna mix a song in the box this week as well...
Is that a 1/2" or 1/4" mac?
:lol:

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:56 pm

I had Audio Upgrades hotrod my mouse and MacBook for audio performance. Not.
www.larry-crane.com

thompatzner
audio school

Post by thompatzner » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:17 pm

I can think of a few sessions that would have benefited from these guidelines, thanks Larry.
Thom Patzner

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Funny how many of the guidelines could fit into the "laziness" thread here: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=58236

Maybe the work should fall back on the musician, not the recorder. That's fine by me! :D

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:11 pm

...overdubs credited in the back cover liner notes in font no smaller than 10pt...

Easily the best end rant ever. I read it last night and giggled about it all day today. Nice work LC.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:34 am

I just got an email. See below. Is he serious or is he joking the joker?
LC

"I read your Purity and Honesty in Recordings Seal of Approval in the Sept./Oct. 2008 issue and have a few thoughts.
?
I applaud the overall idea of putting the music first and technology second. This is a concept that has become lost in the digital age. However, to blame digital recording for this phenomenon is misguided.
?
The sole responsibility of a recording rests in the hands of the people who make it, not the tools they use. I believe (to reference your example) that if the Beatles had access to plug-ins, they would have used them to serve their music. Remember, they were often on the cutting edge of recording technology for the day.
?
Great recordings can be made, start to finish, ?in the box?. Ten or fifteen years ago I wouldn?t have said that, but today I believe it?s true. Software algorithms and DSP power have evolved to a place where digital recording, mixing, and mastering rivals analog work.
?
To be clear, I?m not talking about every program or plug-in, but the best-of-breed digital tools are strong competitors with their analog counterparts. Of course, this also implies a great signal chain: excellent A/D and D/A converters and cables, amplifiers, and monitors.
?
If you still feel strongly about standing by your seal of approval, I applaud you. To avoid hypocrisy, though, you should only run ads by companies making analog recording tools."
www.larry-crane.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:38 am

sounds to me like the person who sent that didn't notice the tongue in the cheek.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca