TBone Interview

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

TBone Interview

Post by dgrieser » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:18 pm

Great stuff, Larry, you lucky dog. Thanks. I especially like the story about finding the mix for all the other instruments in the vocal mic when the band was recording all together in one big room. The story about Roy Husky Jr. playing behind Gillian Welch is great too. That man could lay down a bass line like no one else.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:54 pm

It was a treat to talk to T Bone. for sure
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:10 am

I loved the T Bone piece, and I was very happy to see it finally happen. Thanks, Larry.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:27 am

I found it "profound" how committed T-Bone is to the physical properties of surfaces. The holistic approach that he told us about in his interview borders on obsession, but in a good way. I certainly am looking at my rooms with a keener eye because of this philosophy and am in the market for some skin heads!

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:53 am

Not only was the T Bone interview great, but it put me back in touch with a long list friend. In college, i used to play in a band with a fantastic guitarist named Gavin Lurssen and I've googled him a few times but just kept finding pesky references to some mastering guy with the same name. Reading the T Bone interview, where he mentions Gavin, I finally thought "How could this mastering guy have exactly the same spelling?" and discovered it was my old pal. I've got his name on the back of literally dozens of albums at my house, but it took a Tapeop article for me to finally figure out what my friend has been up to since Berklee.

Thanks Larry, you're better than facebook!
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:42 am

Studiodawg wrote:...and am in the market for some skin heads!
I found some for you:

cjac9
gettin' sounds

Post by cjac9 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:12 pm

dangit. i'd love to read this article. But i haven't been receiving my tape op recently. I thought I just missed an issue but apparently i've stopped recieving. if I sign back up do i get this one? or do i have to order the back issue?

-chris

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:18 am

leigh wrote:
Is this an a capella band you're working with in Slabtown? But seriously, you made me laugh!

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:00 am

Seeing this thread has flashed me back to a dream I just had last night in which I was in a fairly crowded space and walked up to shake the hand of T-Bone Burnett, who just happened to be in the crowd, and had a few words with him. I had a brief conversation with him in the dream, but only remember how I gushed about the interview in Tapeop and how it was "....almost metaphysical!" :alien:

Weird....so random. :?:

That was a GREAT interview though and have much respect for someone with a serious vision and intent like that.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:09 am

i love that my question made it into the printed interview! now i have been quoted in TAPE OP!! hahaha.

seriously tho - i find that producers tend to make sweeping statements that may not be ENTIRELY truthful.

how about "WE NEVER CLOSE MIC ANYTHING". i have a lot of tbone produced records and i find this very hard to believe. the newer stuff (last few sam phillips ones he did, the krause/plant album) is definitely more on the ambient room sound trip for sure - but the first few sam phillips albums are quite different - as is the first counting crows - the wallflowers - joseph arthur - bruce cocklburn etc... they clearly HAVE closed mic'd elements at times. maybe he doesn't anymore :)

but everybody likes a little controversy eh?

no doubt the man is gifted and a great article thanks larry!
the new rules : there are no rules

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:00 pm

It was a great article, partly for the insight into his delusional outlook on certain things!

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:15 am

Studiodawg wrote: Is this an a capella band you're working with in Slabtown? But seriously, you made me laugh!
Yeah, they're called BJ and the Boots. Sweet angelic voices. I just avoid bringing up politics, religion, economics, or humanity, and we get along fine in the studio.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:24 am

I liked his statement about how he realized midcareer that his entire goal was to capture the huge live sound that he heard at a local ballroom when he was a kid catching big national acts. That is so different from so many engineer/recording enthusiasts who got the bug by listening to studio-intensive masterpieces like Sgt. Peppers on headphones. Very interesting interview. LC, thanks mucho for getting that for everybody's benefit!

Lee Knight
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lee Knight » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:27 am

joninc wrote: how about "WE NEVER CLOSE MIC ANYTHING". i have a lot of tbone produced records and i find this very hard to believe. the newer stuff (last few sam phillips ones he did, the krause/plant album...
Think about it a second. When you say, "I never...", you're refering to your current MO. As is he. Probably current for the past few years. Sure, the Phillips stuff was done close mic'ed. But how long ago? Put it in context and perspective.

BTW, it was the best audio/music related bit of writing I've read in years. Truely great to read that interview.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:20 pm

I love that the first sentence of his was something to the effect of "I dont love recordings" 'cuz I feel i have been going down that path for the last couple of years.
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".