TBone Interview

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:17 am

Allison Krauss and Robert Plant were featured on the CBS Sunday Morning news show with a short appearance by T Bone. Some brief clips of them performing and listening to some mix downs in the studio. Sounds like a 2nd CD may be in the works!

However, in talking about Plant's influences, they showed a picture of Little Richard and Muddy Waters and ID'd Muddy Waters as Mississippi John Estes. Surely they have someone at CBS who knows that was Muddy Waters.

muscmp
audio school

t bone article

Post by muscmp » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:45 pm

i too found the t bone article to be one of the best i've read.
just wanted to say thanks to tape op - a great magazine.
muscmp

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:11 pm

This is a good listen: T Bone as DJ on NPR's All Songs Considered:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=90471395

Circuit Scream
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Circuit Scream » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:32 pm

I just finished reading it this evening over dinner. I'm particularly intrigued about this recording-to-lathe thing now...

Great interview.
"I avoided capture by using your Mak'tar stealth haze"
--Quellek

Donnie Maynard Christianson
aka Circuit Scream
Sci-fi Inspired Ambient/Electronic Guitar Rock
http://twitter.com/circuitscream

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:26 am

joninc wrote:seriously tho - i find that producers tend to make sweeping statements that may not be ENTIRELY truthful.

how about "WE NEVER CLOSE MIC ANYTHING". i have a lot of tbone produced records and i find this very hard to believe.
Didn't he say in this very interview that he had someone's amp in an isolation box? I don't have the interview in front of me, but I seem to remember this. Surely that amp was close mic'd.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:04 pm

FBH wrote:
joninc wrote:seriously tho - i find that producers tend to make sweeping statements that may not be ENTIRELY truthful.

how about "WE NEVER CLOSE MIC ANYTHING". i have a lot of tbone produced records and i find this very hard to believe.
Didn't he say in this very interview that he had someone's amp in an isolation box? I don't have the interview in front of me, but I seem to remember this. Surely that amp was close mic'd.
i take the close mic statement the same way as someone who says that they never use any EQ. im not being mean, im just saying sometimes when you are trying to convey a general technique, you may make a blanket statement that is not meant to be taken literally in every recording situation. i'm sure his vocals are "close" mic'd. a shaker would be hard to capture without it being close mic'd. plus, his definition of close mic'ing could be different than your definition. it's kind of like saying, "hey - give me some more punch in the snare." is that 100hz, 250hz, or does that mean a slower attack on the compressor?" :) i dunno, you got me!

does close mic'ing mean an inch from the source, or up to 1ft? could close mic'ing a guitar cab be like a foot away? this has alot of variance according to who you are speaking with.