Wavelab Interview? (the studio in AZ not software)

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

losthighway
resurrected

Wavelab Interview? (the studio in AZ not software)

Post by losthighway » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:02 am

I feel like there should have already been an interview with the owners/engineers of Wavelab studios in Tuscon. I was listening to Neko Case's Fox Confessor Brings the Flood this morning and it sounds beautiful. Great room sound on the drums.

If they haven't already been interviewed they should be.

If they have already been interviewed I need to find it.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:42 am

+1 on this. Wavlebab doesn't even have a website! I did find a cool youtube interview with Craig.......which I cannot find right now. arg.

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:18 am

I am pretty sure there is a wavelab interview in the first TO book. Also, their myspace page is a peek inside.
I was hunting down this same thing in Google the other day and came up with several bits and pieces...

Happy hunting!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:09 pm

vikingrecording wrote:I am pretty sure there is a wavelab interview in the first TO book. Also, their myspace page is a peek inside.
I was hunting down this same thing in Google the other day and came up with several bits and pieces...

Happy hunting!
*looks in book cited*

yup.

maybe a new one would be nice, tho?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:29 pm

Interestingly enough, there's an article about Craig/Wavelab/Calexico in the new EQ mag. Craig engineered a record for one of my bands a few years back at the old Wavelab. Fun times. Great engineer.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Meriphew wrote:Interestingly enough, there's an article about Craig/Wavelab/Calexico in the new EQ mag. Craig engineered a record for one of my bands a few years back at the old Wavelab. Fun times. Great engineer.
Can we be shallow and give a run down on some of their noteworthy mics and pres, kind of room etc? Obviously their kind of work-method is more informative/ harder to pin down, but anything you recall would be interesting to me.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:05 pm

losthighway wrote:
Meriphew wrote:Interestingly enough, there's an article about Craig/Wavelab/Calexico in the new EQ mag. Craig engineered a record for one of my bands a few years back at the old Wavelab. Fun times. Great engineer.
Can we be shallow and give a run down on some of their noteworthy mics and pres, kind of room etc? Obviously their kind of work-method is more informative/ harder to pin down, but anything you recall would be interesting to me.
The old Wavelab was a big warehouse (almost like a rock n' roll bar/nightclub) with a stage, various rooms in other areas, and a control room. It even had a big vault in there. The band that I was in prior to the one that was recording there, used to have our band rehearsal space in one of the adjoining rooms. I don't recall much about the equipment, other than (I believe) a 2" Otari 16 trk tape machine, and a Roland Space Echo.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:46 pm

I checked out that video on myspace. Interesting. No control room, the 'one room' theory. Lots of nice instruments there and about a million pieces of rack gear.