Wikipedia and Album Information

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Re: wiki

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:07 pm

C_R_J wrote:wikipedia is more accurate on things of this nature than other things.
Wikipedia is okay for use as entertainment, but when I really need to know something I double-check it in my 1974 World Book Encyclopedia. I just don't trust a source that isn't printed on real paper. Y'know.

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:10 pm

yeah all music pretty much sucks for info but like i said it is a good place to find new music. but that's pretty much it.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:32 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:"Allmusic sucks, by the way. I go there as a last resort but I don't trust their information as much as I trust wikipedia after reading here from so many posters about how hard it is to correct a factual error there. Also the site is so goddamn slow to load. It brings me back to interweb 1997 every freakin' time. I really don't WANT to wait 45 seconds for a bunch of banner ads to load."

I have tried to get Allmusic to fix my information for a decade. I've even gotten emails fro Tape Op readers that work there and wanted to fix it. But it's still a mess, between Larry Crane (me), Larry Crane (guitar guy), Lawrence Crane (me pre-1994).

I guess the answer is to add to the wikipedia pages. It just seems so odd that almost every album page is lacking this info! Let's get out there and fix this! Let's start with our own projects! Oh wait, will that send up those awful wiki flags? I have one on the wiki for Larry Crane!
I had these kind of issues until I just emailed some people there and got things sorted out.
They were very kind about me sending a list of what was me and what was not me.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 am

TapeOpLarry wrote: I guess the answer is to add to the wikipedia pages. It just seems so odd that almost every album page is lacking this info! Let's get out there and fix this! Let's start with our own projects! Oh wait, will that send up those awful wiki flags? I have one on the wiki for Larry Crane!

Wikipedia frowns on creating pages for self-promotion, so this really will only apply to artists/albums that some third party feels is important enough to them to set up a wiki page...or artists/albums that are crafty enough to get past wiki's self-aggrandizement cops.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 pm

One thing I do like about wiki is that it shows the samples from albums. Does anybody know of a website that does this as its soul perpuse?

Mikey P
studio intern

Post by Mikey P » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:51 pm

My view on Wikipedia is that once you're past a certain level of expertise on a given subject, you should be contributing to pages on that subject rather than relying on them for information. If a page doesn't meet your standards and you know the relevant information, nudge it in the direction of better.

Wikpedia has the problems of any large volunteer-run organisation but it's still one of the great collaborative endeavors ever. With the exception of some volatile hot-topic pages it's probably better not to get involved with, it's as good as we care to make it.