Time aligning Eric Welsh article

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

nomansland
audio school

Time aligning Eric Welsh article

Post by nomansland » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Cool article. I was wondering how one would go about time aligning tracks with ambient mics for live recordings. In the Welsh article, he mentions using a digital console to do this, but I have an analog board and was wondering if a less expensive stereo delay unit would allow me to achieve this type of time shift function?

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:22 am

Obviously with a delay unit the mic signal would only become later and later. I believe the trick some times is to actually get the room mics closer in time with the stage in order to reinforce the stage sound without adding a ton of later room ambience. Of course you could delay the stage mics (as a group) through the deal unit. Or you could add longer room mic delay to make a small venue sound bigger!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:56 am

The other option is to have your room mics onstage pointed toward the back of the room. It seems counter intuitive but the reasoning is that you get a better picture of the room by capturing the slap coming back to the stage.

chillhouse
studio intern

Post by chillhouse » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:47 pm

He tracked the Pixies and Dead Can Dance stuff onto Alesis HD24s. These things have a "Track Slip" function that allows you to move individual tracks forward (or backwards) in milliseconds. When mixing he (or I) moved the ambient mics around to line them up better with the other tracks. The snares and kicks were generally used as a gauge. Eric also made detailed notes placement and distances of his ambient mics. When he did the earlier Disclive stuff i think he had a Driverack (or something like this) because that stuff was done totally live.

Will

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:52 pm

Thanks for dropping in Will!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

chillhouse
studio intern

Post by chillhouse » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:11 pm

no problem. i love the TOMB and tape op and am more than honored to be mentioned in the pages of TO.