I am going to record 28 cds in Feb

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

waltertore
takin' a dinner break

I am going to record 28 cds in Feb

Post by waltertore » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:36 am

Hi All: The RPM Challenge starts Feb 1st. The challenge is to record a complete cd in a month. For me that is no challenge, so I decided to challenge myself to do 28 full cds in the month of Feb. That is 1 a day. I work full time as a special education teacher, so 7am-3pm is blocked out. But I figure from 3-5pm each day I can record and mix a cd. I never have tried to record a set number of cds in a time frame, but figure what the heck, you only live once! Here is a warm up sample of songs I did this morning (off for snow). I have been tweaking my preamps, mic placements, and mixer/mster functions, to make my already streamlined recording process faster. I am going to try and keep a journel on my RPM Challenge blog. Wish me luck! Walter

link to the contest. Enter it if you feel inspired!
http://www.rpmchallenge.com/

Click on link below to hear the songs.

I fell for her
since shes gone the sky cries
in the mood all night long
clean country air
skating on the harp

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=71994638
Walter Tore's Spontobeat-over 1 million spontaneously created songs and growing
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 am

Showoff.

:wink:

waltertore
takin' a dinner break

Post by waltertore » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:07 am

JWL wrote:Showoff.

:wink:
Naw, it is just how I do music :lol: I don't buy into the rules of the music business. For me, true art starts with a blank canvas each day. Most musicians just color in the same pictures in a coloring book their whole lives. Walter

TapeOpAl
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:05 am

Was this endeavor successful?

bipedal
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bipedal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 am

For me, true art starts with a blank canvas each day. Most musicians just color in the same pictures in a coloring book their whole lives.
Love that concept. However, I've found for my brain, that 'fresh start each day' concept is too compressed -- I need time to let things percolate and process.

Let me do a minor edit: "For me, true art starts with a blank canvas each week."

There -- that fits me like a glove. Maybe I just need to re-cap some parts of brain to speed things along. :D

Cheers.
I like recording stuff.
Bassist, guitarist, pedal builder, recovering music snob.

waltertore
takin' a dinner break

Post by waltertore » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:03 pm

TapeOpAl wrote:Was this endeavor successful?
yes it was. I recorded 28 cds during the first 18 days of Feb. Then I took a couple days off and recorded 2 more cds in a couple days. I stopped at that point. I spent 2 minutes or less mixing each song. Here is a picture of the finished cds. My special education students did the cover artwork. I work full time. That really cut into my production time. Walter

Here is a link to samples from the cds:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=157137

here are some photos:

waltertore
takin' a dinner break

Post by waltertore » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 pm

bipedal wrote:
For me, true art starts with a blank canvas each day. Most musicians just color in the same pictures in a coloring book their whole lives.
Love that concept. However, I've found for my brain, that 'fresh start each day' concept is too compressed -- I need time to let things percolate and process.

Let me do a minor edit: "For me, true art starts with a blank canvas each week."

There -- that fits me like a glove. Maybe I just need to re-cap some parts of brain to speed things along. :D

Cheers.
I say if you are true to your heart, you are an artist. Walter

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 pm

What drives you to want to do this, rather than actually spending the time to craft a song and get the best performance/mix you can? I'm genuinely curious.

I mean, I get improv. I just don't get what satisfaction could come from doing this. It seems like you're placing too much emphasis on quantity, and virtually none on quality. I could understand how this would be notable if you really WROTE a CD's worth of songs and got a quality recording of them in one day. It would be waaaay impressive if you could do that for 28 days straight! But, to "spontaneously" create a CD's worth of songs in a couple of hours and then spend two minutes per song mixing, seems kind of easy.

I'm really not trying to be an asshole. I just don't understand the motivation to do something like this. Then again, it could just be that it's fun. Lots of people have lots of fun doing things that don't really interest me. More power to ya... Just thought that maybe you're trying to set a world record or something. ;)

waltertore
takin' a dinner break

Post by waltertore » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 am

subatomic pieces wrote:What drives you to want to do this, rather than actually spending the time to craft a song and get the best performance/mix you can? I'm genuinely curious.

I mean, I get improv. I just don't get what satisfaction could come from doing this. It seems like you're placing too much emphasis on quantity, and virtually none on quality. I could understand how this would be notable if you really WROTE a CD's worth of songs and got a quality recording of them in one day. It would be waaaay impressive if you could do that for 28 days straight! But, to "spontaneously" create a CD's worth of songs in a couple of hours and then spend two minutes per song mixing, seems kind of easy.

I'm really not trying to be an asshole. I just don't understand the motivation to do something like this. Then again, it could just be that it's fun. Lots of people have lots of fun doing things that don't really interest me. More power to ya... Just thought that maybe you're trying to set a world record or something. ;)
I took no offense from your post. The joy I get out of spontaneously creating songs is I am able to become the song. Whatever I am singing about I go into it. I travel through time and space doing this. I feel, smell, touch, see. It is like I am really there. I have taught myself to be a real 1 man band because I want a band at my disposal 24/7. I learned to play simply to express the feelings in me. That was my sole driving force-girls, drugs, fame, never entered into it. I have had numerous offers to record with some big names on movie soundtracks and records. I was flattered by it, but when I was told it would be rehearsed and my lines would be pretty scripted, I gratefully declined. It just didn't sound like any fun.

I am driven to sing these songs, and run the recorder as I do it. I have dabbled with overdubbing but I feel like a stranger to the song going back to it. New songs keep coming out and the excitement of this is night and day compared to writing a song and working it to perfection. I don't know if you listened to any of my songs. What I try to do is capture the moment like it sounds. The flaws in the performance are part of it all. I am addicted to this approach to art and temptations of money and possible fame over the years (if I would quit this and do it as others do) is of no interest. If we all did art as we felt it in our hearts, without our heads getting into it, I think the world as we know it today would be a vastly different place. Walter

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:14 am

hell yes.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:16 am

waltertore wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:What drives you to want to do this, rather than actually spending the time to craft a song and get the best performance/mix you can? I'm genuinely curious.

I took no offense from your post. The joy I get out of spontaneously creating songs is I am able to become the song. Whatever I am singing about I go into it. I travel through time and space doing this. I feel, smell, touch, see. It is like I am really there. I have taught myself to be a real 1 man band because I want a band at my disposal 24/7. I learned to play simply to express the feelings in me. That was my sole driving force-girls, drugs, fame, never entered into it. I have had numerous offers to record with some big names on movie soundtracks and records. I was flattered by it, but when I was told it would be rehearsed and my lines would be pretty scripted, I gratefully declined. It just didn't sound like any fun.

I am driven to sing these songs, and run the recorder as I do it. I have dabbled with overdubbing but I feel like a stranger to the song going back to it. New songs keep coming out and the excitement of this is night and day compared to writing a song and working it to perfection. I don't know if you listened to any of my songs. What I try to do is capture the moment like it sounds. The flaws in the performance are part of it all. I am addicted to this approach to art and temptations of money and possible fame over the years (if I would quit this and do it as others do) is of no interest. If we all did art as we felt it in our hearts, without our heads getting into it, I think the world as we know it today would be a vastly different place. Walter
Dude, you're "in the flow", I spend so little time in the flow it's ridiculous. It's what I aspire to though.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

waltertore
takin' a dinner break

Post by waltertore » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:18 am

thanks for checking my stuff out guys! I am in the flow pretty regular. When I get out of it, I just take a breath and keep going and it usually comes back. Like I said earlier, worldly goals were not on my list. It has taken years for me to accept that fact because when I am not playing I can easily question why I haven't gone further in the music business. It is like I am driven to do this and will knee jerk respond to any attempt to put outside rules on it. Walter