Sufjan Stevens in new Tape Op is that a joke?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:41 pm

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 pm

to be honest, I'm more put off by the shirt than the wings.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:02 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:to be honest, I'm more put off by the "There's Something About Mary" hair than the wings.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Young Winston
ass engineer

Post by Young Winston » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:16 pm

His bandmate is wearing a matching shirt. It's as cool as can be...for the mid-1970s.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

Aidyn
audio school

Post by Aidyn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:23 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
;ivlunsdystf wrote:
Aidyn wrote: Then again maybe he just seems pretentious to someone who types probably as "prolly"
Where are you going with that?
downhill fast.

first time poster.

let it slide.
Yeah sorry about that. I might be a first time poster but I am a long time user of forums and I knew pretty well what I was doing when I said that. Not trying to start anything.

Just got a little frustrated by people taking shots at him just because they can an who have probably not even taken a proper listen of any of his music. It is music that he does after all so maybe you should close your eyes since the visual aspect of his performances offend you so much.

If anyone is interested in seeing his entire ACL performance [not just what aired on the broadcast (which I didn't particularly like)] here it is.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HP71ONFW

It's a big file but it's good quality. I think he does 9 or 10 songs.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:37 pm

I'm a huge fan of 'Illinois' and 'Michigan'. I don't really care about his gear or clothing so much, but what really struck me upon first listen were the arrangements! The fact that he did it mostly by himself with budget gear is even better, but less important imo.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:00 pm

;ivlunsdystf wrote:I'm glad to see that this article attracted new people to the magazine and this forum. Seriously. No offense to the old high-post-count regulars is intended, but it's nice to see some new names round here.
Bumping this because it got hidden behind the wings photo. Will investigate his actual music again, promise. Cheers

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:16 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:to be honest, I'm more put off by the shirt than the wings.
I swear that was my first reaction as well.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:09 pm

i have Illinoise, and the arrangements are good, if not a little samey by the end of the album. I think the pretentious idea may come from the occasional affected singing (not reverb effects, but his presentation) and maybe a sense of overall preciousness. But none of that really bugs me.

"what would frank lloyd right say"...whatever song that it, I get that song in my head alot. PROLLY because it's in 5/4.

edit: it's the title track.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:46 pm

I had read his name a couple times, but never heard his music. I enjoyed it when I had a listen. Great interview, very much in the "TapeOp spirit", I thought.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Glad to see people are at least chatting about content in Tape Op. It's sad to see the numbers of articles that get printed and don't get a single post or email to me. I can't tell if no one cares or if they are fine with it.

And keep in mind, the more I see people complain about something the more I might find it interesting to put in the mag. I've got one up my sleeve that may make y'all pissed off no matter how open minded you claim to be...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:02 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Glad to see people are at least chatting about content in Tape Op. It's sad to see the numbers of articles that get printed and don't get a single post or email to me. I can't tell if no one cares or if they are fine with it.

And keep in mind, the more I see people complain about something the more I might find it interesting to put in the mag. I've got one up my sleeve that may make y'all pissed off no matter how open minded you claim to be...
bring it on!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:37 pm

I just assumed that this "sufjan" character was the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens who I also don't like.

In his defense, the whole band was wearing the pretentious shirts and preposterous wings, so he prolly didn't have a choice in the matter.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:00 pm

I do really like the guy's music and appreciate his talent and have been listening to him for a long time. If you don't like Illinois, check out Seven Swans. Really amazingly moving record... to me.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:I've got one up my sleeve that may make y'all pissed off no matter how open minded you claim to be...
Walter Sear, Part II?