The Beatles CDs Remastered - out in Sept. 09

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

The Beatles CDs Remastered - out in Sept. 09

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:09 pm

I've compiled all the info I can find on the Tape Log. Start saving your money...

http://www.tapeop.com/tapelog/2009/04/t ... stered.php
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:44 am

I for one can't wait for this. I was just b*&^hing on Facebook the other day (I know, lame) that the Beatles stuff sounds like crap on cd and it's a travesty and all that and called out Apple Corp and low and behold, here they are. I call that service!

And I can't wait for Beatles Rock Band. If I can only figure out away to play all the instruments at once.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Steve Rooke who mastered the "Love" album was part of the team that did these as well, so I'm sure it they will be consistently awesome.

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:14 pm

A drag that they can't bundle the stereo and mono versions on one CD, like they w/ the american LP reissues, but I'm glad they finally got around to this.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:19 am

Something has dawned on me here: It's great that they are updating the terrible sounding masters of the stuff, but really, cd release? When they still haven't figured out how to license their stuff to ANY digital download service?

Don't get me wrong, I love a physical package. I'd love it if they just released these on vinyl with a link and a download code I could use to access the digital versions. I have thousands of records and cds, but honestly I don't think I need--or the world needs, for that matter--another overpriced cd package that will get ripped into my computer and then the beautiful, expensive cd and packaging will languish with the rest of my cds in boxes in my storage space. I haven't had my cds on display in the house for more than 5 years.

The silliness and backward thinking of this product (one I will still spend a ton of money on) is dawning on me.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:29 am

I'm psyched they're doing the mono mixes as well. And I'm relieved to hear they're not participating in the loudness wars and only used no-noise minimally.

I wish they were hybrid SACDs, though!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:55 pm

we PRAY they haven't tried to squash the living shit out of these. If so, we'll be waiting for the quiet remasters in 2022.
www.larry-crane.com

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Finally, as is common with today's music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only. However, it was unanimously agreed that because of the importance of The Beatles' music, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.
I think this is a good sign (from the Beatles press release). I am extremely psyched for that mono box!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 am

It's nice that they mention it won't be squashed to shit, but I never trust these statements until I hear the disc!
www.larry-crane.com

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:49 am

I can't decide whether I'm more excited for the CD's or for the Rock Band game. I know that's kind of poo poo'd by most musician types, but Rock Band is as close to jamming with my wife as I'll ever get, and therefore the closest I'll get to playing Beatles tunes with her. I bet it's going to be a lot of fun.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:26 am

I know this may come off as heresy to some purists, but I was personally floored by the sonics of the recent Love soundtrack. Not talking about the mash-up stuff, but just the overall sound quality. Yes, it was 'modernized' - more lows, wider soundfield, that sort of thing (sort of; still had a vintage vibe). But it sounded great to me - kind of an idealized dream of the Beatles sonics for the 21st century. I can dig that too, especially when it comes off as a natural progression of the original work done by the folks at Abbey Road. Folk tradition in action, as it were. If these remasters (remixes?) are of similar caliber, I'll be thrilled. Come to think of it - Is Giles Martin involved on this? George M? Any of the Love team?

That said... to get what I'm after, I would think they'd would need to do this twice - once to just clean up the originals for a 'proper' CD release that is extremely reverent to the original mixes, and again to do the "enhanced" version (Love-style sonics without the mashup component).

Ok, purists, you can throw stones now.
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 am

Aj wrote:Ok, purists, you can throw stones now.
Not at all. That record sounded great.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:18 am

What they really should do is release the stems from their entire catalog so we all can do our own remixes!

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:00 pm

acjetnut wrote:What they really should do is release the stems from their entire catalog so we all can do our own remixes!
Eventually they will. Mark my words. Even if it takes 10 years, I do believe we'll see that happen some day.
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:54 am

sad iron wrote:Something has dawned on me here: It's great that they are updating the terrible sounding masters of the stuff, but really, cd release? When they still haven't figured out how to license their stuff to ANY digital download service?

Don't get me wrong, I love a physical package. I'd love it if they just released these on vinyl with a link and a download code I could use to access the digital versions. I have thousands of records and cds, but honestly I don't think I need--or the world needs, for that matter--another overpriced cd package that will get ripped into my computer and then the beautiful, expensive cd and packaging will languish with the rest of my cds in boxes in my storage space. I haven't had my cds on display in the house for more than 5 years.

The silliness and backward thinking of this product (one I will still spend a ton of money on) is dawning on me.
YES! Stereo/mono with mp3 download...holy crap that would become my fav release ever...

I have noticed that a lot of music is coming out on LP lately. That whole Pearl Jam thing was really largely LP based.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly