I MISS TAPE OP CON!!!!

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

silver sonya
gettin' sounds

I MISS TAPE OP CON!!!!

Post by silver sonya » Fri May 01, 2009 2:21 pm

As many of you know, I got sick last year and wasn't able to attend the Pot Luck thing. So I have no way to comment on that event.

All I want to say is that I miss the Tape Op Con! Really special times. I made or cemented some lifelong friendships --- Sarah Register from The Lodge is brilliant and now one of my favorite people on the planet --- and I got to talk to some long-held heroes (an extensive casual conversation with Tony Visconti over bagels and coffee... umm.. or did I dream that?).

I sat by a pool, sipping cold beer, while Andrew Gilchrist DJ'd some of his fantastic remixes of My LIfe In The Bush Of Ghosts and other Gilchrist curated esoterica. This was so immensely pleasurable, I can't even describe it. I went over and had to ask "What is this?! This is great!" so many times that he eventually learned to see me coming and just shouted it at me across the pool.

Plus, I made George Massenburg cranky by asking him innocent questions about the unassailable masterpiece that is Joshua Judges Ruth, unwittingly stirring up a hornet's nest of a topic, and prompting him to make some incredibly fierce, damning public statements about Lyle Lovett.

I mean, come on, that was fun.

I am recovering my health, working on a new BP record, and about to go on hiatus from SSonya to devote my time to it. I am in a good mood these days. And I was just thinking, man, it would really be fun if I could wave a magic wand and make a Tape Op Con happen again.

Really good memories. I mean, I got to talk to Steve Fisk about the artistic transition between Pell Mell's Interstate and Star City. F-ing crazy. I could go on for another ten screens, but I will spare you.

Joel Hamilton and I are now as close as two straight guys can be before things start feeling "experimental." So I will always have TOC to thank for the relationships that were formed. Seriously.

Thanks to Craig, Larry, John, Hillary, everyone who made that happen. If it never happens again, it was really really really special. If it happens again, well, hooray.

Love to you all.

It did happen, right? Or did I dream it?...

cheers,
Chad

p.s. Lyle's general statements on the matter are pretty much "right back atcha, George."

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Sat May 02, 2009 8:14 pm

I'll second that emotion.
I only managed to get to two (new orleans 2005 and tucson 2007) but it really was amazing and I met some great new friends. Great work Craig and all others on putting it together. It will be missed...

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Mon May 04, 2009 2:30 pm

Amen, there's nothing like a Tape Op/PotLuck Con. It's like visiting a planet that makes sense.

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Mon May 04, 2009 3:53 pm

Hey Hey!

Hear Hear!

And I wish I could say "Here Here!"

-Archmart

silver sonya
gettin' sounds

Post by silver sonya » Mon May 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Marlowe wrote:It's like visiting a planet that makes sense.
If they revive it, that should be the slogan. For sure.

- c

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon May 04, 2009 8:57 pm

i missed them all, but if it came back i would make sure i made it.

oops, i hope this doesn't seal its current fate!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue May 05, 2009 2:56 am

silver sonya wrote:
Marlowe wrote:It's like visiting a planet that makes sense.
If they revive it, that should be the slogan. For sure.

- c
Totally.

it is unfortunate that the world can never allow for things of this nature to stay simple and enjoyable.

minkthinking
pluggin' in mics

Post by minkthinking » Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm

I feel like it sort of has to happen again.

I have much respect for craig larry and hillary and the WHOLE crew for putting so much effort into both events!

They worked their asses off!

I hope one of the two gatherings resurfaces!

I have attended 4 of the events, total.

BENDYmusic
gettin' sounds

Post by BENDYmusic » Tue May 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Had a great time in Tucson, I need another road trip like that. (Maybe not to AZ again though..)
Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
BENDY
http://bendymusic.com/
http://bendysound.com/

HocoGirl
audio school

Potluck Con Family Reunion

Post by HocoGirl » Fri May 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Craig is working on details, Hocofest Solar Music Festival and Audio Con at Hotel Congress is now hosting Potluck Con during Labor Day Weekend, September 3rd thru September 6th, 2009 in Tucson. The website is being updated as I am typing this. Pricing is free for past panelists and attendees and we scored great hotel pricing. $59 to $99 per night, up to 4 people per room.

More details to come later! Have a great weekend!
Victoria

silver sonya
gettin' sounds

Post by silver sonya » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Recently received a rather curious email about my reference to George Massenburg that suggested someone had misinterpreted my intent. In the event that others had a similar interpretation, I wanted to clarify.

The spirit of my post was meant to be playful, light-hearted, and positive. I hope that's self-evident.

The bit about George Massenburg & Lyle Lovett is not in any way meant to be disrespectful to either party. I am huge fans of both people and of the work that they created together.

The exchange in question with George happened in public, in a conference room, amplified by a P.A. It was not a private conversation. George, as most of you know, is no shrinking violet. He is a brilliant, confident, cranky, suffer-no-fools type and he regaled the crowd with his account of the making of JJR.

In the intervening time, I came to learn that the acrimony between these two people was a matter of public record. Lyle's statements on the topic can be found in published interviews.

Anyway, what I took from the whole thing was that Joshua Judges Ruth, which I and many others regard as a masterpiece of sorts, was the product of a difficult and maybe even painful creative process. This was surprising, but instructive.

The lesson: sometimes great art comes out of dark, difficult, or even torturous collaborative relationships.

We all know this --- even the Beatles had to get away from each other eventually --- but it's weird when you learn it after the fact.

My repeating the statements was meant as a fond nostalgic mention of a public event, not nasty gossip about a private exchange.

George is always entertaining when he speaks at these kinds of things and I appreciate it. The world would be a dull place without our cantankerous, independent-thinking visionaries.

In this respect, hat's off to both George & Lyle.

I imagine they shan't work together again, but I'm glad that they did.

Okay, hopefully that clears that up.

Thanks.

- c

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Labor Day in Tucson?

Post by Marlowe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:21 am

Did anything happen for the Labor Day weekend in Tucson?