Death metal / black metal

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Sun May 31, 2009 6:44 pm

...Fresh from the Maryland Death Fest!
Great to see people drop knowledge in this thread!

I definitely love me some Xasthur and 1349.
Also, I can watch Nicholas Barker (don't laugh) and Kjetil-Vidar Haraldstad/Frost drum on anything!

When the cold weather starts creeping in, ambient bm is my jamzzzzzzz!

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 pm

Wolves in the Throne Room are pretty cool, I wonder what "real" metal heads think of them ...

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:33 am

Wolves In The Throne Room were really really popular at Death Fest, and it was a great way to close out that night.

I'm definitely a fan.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:29 am

47ronin wrote:Wolves in the Throne Room are pretty cool, I wonder what "real" metal heads think of them ...
They don't do much for me, but I respect them.

stevelew
audio school

Post by stevelew » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:03 pm

Could someone compare and contrast the standard off foot blast, the hyper blast, the bomb blast, and the double bomb blast? Or was he joking?

I thought that keyboards were diagnostic for Black Metal, for the cinematic icy tundra vibe.

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Could someone compare and contrast the standard off foot blast, the hyper blast, the bomb blast, and the double bomb blast? Or was he joking?

one foot blast: blast beat using one foot, snare and kick+hat alternating, Napalm Death style.
gravity blast: or one handed drum roll + blasting, Origin style.
bomb blast: two foot blast (alternating feet, to make the tempo faster)
double bomb: kicks are basically rolling, while snare is blasting
hyper: 'suffo-blast'; kick+snare+hat all at the same time; Suffocation-style.

you can also lead off with the snare, instead of leading off with the kick+hat

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:54 pm

mcsquishytooshy wrote:Could someone compare and contrast the standard off foot blast, the hyper blast, the bomb blast, and the double bomb blast? Or was he joking?

one foot blast: blast beat using one foot, snare and kick+hat alternating, Napalm Death style.
gravity blast: or one handed drum roll + blasting, Origin style.
bomb blast: two foot blast (alternating feet, to make the tempo faster)
double bomb: kicks are basically rolling, while snare is blasting
hyper: 'suffo-blast'; kick+snare+hat all at the same time; Suffocation-style.

you can also lead off with the snare, instead of leading off with the kick+hat
thanks! I really didn't know all the terminology either. Speaking of Napalm Death and Origin, I just saw Napalm in St. Louis and it was great. My girlfriend got her glasses broke in the pit, but she loved every minute of the show. IMO they still have made some of the most intense music every written. Check out their John Peel sessions if you don't believe me.
I'm gonna go see Origin in two days on June 3rd my birthday!

As for keyboards in metal, I think it can be used tastefully. Emperor used keys and if anyone says they aren't a "real" metal band is fucking dumb. There is a lot of keys in metalcore theses days and a lot of that shit is awful though.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:23 pm

InvalidInk wrote:yeah listen to tarblackvomit on this he knows his shit. For black metal my favorite is the 2nd wave. My two favorites are Emperor (especially Anthems to Welkin at Dusk) and Immortal (Pure Holocaust). For newer Black Metal bands I really like Ludicra and Levaithan.

Personally I like both new and old school metal, in song writting and production both for very different reasons. I really like the rawness of some old school stuff (jesus that Ulver album you mention is fucking brutal, but not in away that most people today would call brutal, it actually physically wears you down after listening to it, thats fucking metal) and i like some of the newer slick production. Andy Sneap would be the poster boy for that, but I still respect what he has done.

Metal is just like any other genre where you have a handful of good bands pushing the bound and a million shitty copy cats. You just got sift through the bullshit and find the good stuff, new and old.

P.S. my younger brother bought Deicide's Legion when it first came out (92 or 93?). He was in 2nd grade and I was in 3rd. It scared the shit out of us.
yep.. there are pros and cons to the old and the new, the raw and the over produced triggered quantized stuff....

its all opinions and style choices.... to argue if one is better or another is silly,.

to say the use of samples and triggers is "lazy" or cheating is silly.. its all about production styles and tastes....

i'm hoping the keyboard thing was a joke as well... to seriously say a certain instrument DOESN"T belong in any type of music is stupid.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:25 pm

mcsquishytooshy wrote:gravity blast: or one handed drum roll + blasting, Origin style.
so rad to see Origin mentioned here.. Can't wait to see those guys again.. old friends from Kansas...

Now that is some amazing techinical musicianship....

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:10 pm

trodden wrote: to say the use of samples and triggers is "lazy" or cheating is silly..
yeah i never got that one, it's definitely a lot easier to hear when the playing isn't tight when the kicks are triggered.
well, at least playing live when you can't fix it after the fact.
-johnny

punk
pluggin' in mics

Post by punk » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:10 am

I cant wait to see this article in the new tape op... im still waiting for my copy.

I have been a death metal fan for a long time... or grind core fan i should say and have recorded a few albums that fall into these genres... but the super triggered drum sounds of todays metal make it really hard to listen to these bands and get any real sense of emotion.
I mean sometimes it comes off really well, but ultimately i get bored by the monotony that the triggering induces.

here is an overview of the classics that everyone should check out:

Terrorizer: this is the ultimate grindcore release, hugley influential, no triggers, raw and precise grind that has never been equalled.

DarkThrone: Blaze in the northern sky, black metal raw and primitive with almost death metal riffing.

Beherit: the oath of black blood, total crazy second wave of black metal from finland.

Entombed: left hand path, this release pretty much created "swedish death metal".

Carcass- symphonies of sickness, before they became prog rock and after they cleaned it up a little, this is the missing link between grind and death metal.

that said some really cool newer metal/ metal influenced bands to check out are:

Khanate: things viral, this is really visceral and raw, a truly underrated band.
Coffins- Japanese death metal full raw style (I played at maryland death fest the same year as them and they ruled.)
Machetazo: total old school death.
check out this stupid band im part of.
http://www.bloodduster.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:36 am

I found that article to be one of the most poorly-written pieces of trash I've ever seen in any recording publication and some of the early TapeOp articles were pretty bad.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:49 pm

"I found that article to be one of the most poorly-written pieces of trash I've ever seen in any recording publication and some of the early TapeOp articles were pretty bad."

We try! Damn!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:07 pm

cgarges wrote:I found that article to be one of the most poorly-written pieces of trash I've ever seen in any recording publication and some of the early TapeOp articles were pretty bad.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
B.S. (Be Specific)

What didn't you like? etc. So we can discuss something besides how you vaguely generally hated it.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:25 pm

;ivlunsdystf wrote:What didn't you like? etc. So we can discuss something besides how you vaguely generally hated it.
It was poorly written and clearly not edited appropriately. There were grammatical errors and contradictions all over the place. That's what was technically wrong with it. Beyond that (and this is just personal preference), it was filled with ridiculous statements that anyone who's made recordings professionally within a number of generes for any kind of considerable period of time would find laughable. Couple that with this air of authority that the author has placed upon himself and it adds up to an article that I think sucks. Again, that's my personal opinion, but the poor authorship in terms of literary blunders is not.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC